News

OnePlus officially teases Nord Watch

More details coming throughout the week

Published

on

Last year, the OnePlus Watch stretched the company’s portfolio into the realm of wearables. Though the wearable wowed with its competitive price, it did leave us wanting more from an eventual successor. Well, it looks like OnePlus isn’t waiting long to launch a follow-up. The brand has officially teased the coming of the Nord Watch.

Through its official site, OnePlus India released an official landing page for the unannounced wearable. The device, simply called the OnePlus Nord Watch, will expand the brand’s wearable offerings even further.

Though the landing page now is currently devoid of several details, it does offer a vignetted glimpse of the device. Unlike the OnePlus Watch’s circular face, the Nord Watch will have a rounded rectangle as its main form factor, much like the Apple Watch. It will also have lugs, a crown, and a silicone band.

There is no launch date yet, though. The site only says, “coming soon.” However, the page does promise more details coming between now and the end of September. Presumably, OnePlus will officially unveil the Nord Watch as early as September 30 or early in October.

Now, whether or not the wearable will upstage the OnePlus Watch is a debate worth having. The Nord brand typically promises midrange offerings, as opposed to the main brand’s focus on flagships.

SEE ALSO: OnePlus 10T 5G: 5 Best Things

Laptops

MacBook Neo already “supply constrained” amid unexpected demand

New purchases are reportedly getting delayed.

Published

on

It’s been a crazy month for Apple fans on a budget. The debuts of the iPhone 17e and the MacBook Neo have brought the classic Apple experience to a wider market. Though the former is a bright spot on its own, the new MacBook Neo is currently breaking the company’s expectations as new orders are already “supply constrained.”

Last week, Tim Cook held an earnings call (via Six Colors) which includes the latest additions to Apple’s lineup. For the affordable iPhone, Cook gave a special shoutout as “the newest addition to what is already the strongest iPhone lineup we’ve ever had.” However, he was much more appreciative for the MacBook Neo’s role in the company’s notebook lineup.

Responding to a query about the new notebook, Cook says that the company “undercalled the level of enthusiasm” generated by the MacBook Neo. He also cited “tremendous enthusiasm” for the device in his main presentation.

Though he didn’t have the numbers to bolster his claims, he did give anecdotal examples of public schools switching over to Apple from Chromebooks and Windows PCs.

Finally, he says that the MacBook Neo is currently “supply constrained,” meaning new purchases will likely come with a delay before delivery.

Outside of the corporate perspective, there has been a lot of excitement for the notebook. Even if it uses the A18 Pro chip, the MacBook Neo promises a powerful notebook experience as is typical of Apple’s more traditional MacBooks. And to top it all off, it starts at only US$ 599, creating one of the most tempting offers for users who want to dip their toes into the Apple ecosystem.

SEE ALSO: MacBook Neo officially arrives at Power Mac Center

Continue Reading

News

Apple reportedly gives up on the Vision Pro

But Apple will continue to sell the current model.

Published

on

When they unveiled the Vision Pro in 2023, Apple touted the wearable as the next big thing after the iPhone. Now, almost three years removed from the launch, the Vision Pro hasn’t really taken over the coveted spot occupied by the iPhone. Apple, according to a report, is allegedly canning the short-lived wearable.

According to MacRumors, Apple has reportedly given up on making the Vision Pro a thing. The team handling the wearable has supposedly been subsumed by other teams within Apple.

If true, the wearable’s end is unfortunate but not surprising. Despite being out for years, the Vision Pro has sold only a little more than half a million units with numerous returns from customers. Most recently, Apple updated the wearable with the M5 chip, but the move hasn’t revitalized the device’s status in Apple’s lineup.

Most of the complaints about the device stem from its exorbitant price or its cumbersome battery pack. Besides costing a whopping US$ 3,499, the Vision Pro is also difficult to move around with, especially because of its total weight and a battery pack that can get in the way.

To be clear, Apple has not officially discontinued the Vision Pro yet. The company continues to sell the version with the M5 chip. Apple can also restart development in the future.

However, the meantime retirement on future development does coincide with the recent restructuring inside the company. Tim Cook recently decided to step down as CEO with John Ternus as his replacement. Canning the Vision Pro might be Ternus’ first step in redefining Apple according to his plans.

SEE ALSO: Apple Vision Pro gets M5 chip upgrade

Continue Reading

Apps

YouTube makes picture-in-picture mode free for everyone globally

The update is rolling out globally now.

Published

on

Picture-in-picture (or PiP) mode is a godsend for multitaskers. The feature lets users watch videos in a tiny floating window while doing other tasks. However, the feature isn’t readily available for all users. Or wasn’t, at least. YouTube is now rolling out PiP mode for free globally.

Previously, PiP mode was exclusive to YouTube users who pay for Premium or Premium Lite. It was also exclusive to the United States.

Now, YouTube is making the feature completely free for users all over the globe. It will be available for both iOS and Android versions of the app.

There’s still a catch, though. The free version is available only for “longform, non-music content.” The same goes for Premium Lite subscribers. Music is still an exclusive feature for those who pay for the regular version of Premium. Basically, there is no change for paying users or users in the United States.

Using PiP mode is simple. All you need to do is load up a video you want to watch in the background. Then, just exit the YouTube app and go about your other tasks. The video will be inside a floating, resizable window while you look at other things.

There’s no timeline on when the update will reach your device. However, YouTube has promised that it will roll out globally within the coming months.

SEE ALSO: YouTube remains top PH video platform; advertisers urged to continue investing

Continue Reading

Trending