Apps
Google delays roll-out of Play Store’s 30% cut in India to April 2022
A prime market for every technology company
Google has announced it will postpone the roll-out of Play Store’s new billing policy in India to April 2022. The company will continue with its new policy globally but has decided to take a step back in the developing country.
Indian entrepreneurs aren’t happy with the Google tax and have voiced their opposition in public. Two weeks ago, one of India’s largest payment app Paytm was removed from the Play Store citing violation of the gambling policy. Following the removal, the company has accused Google of monopolizing the market and exerting unfair control.
As many as 150 Indian app developers unofficially came together to work on a new idea — create a Play Store alternative. In the eyes of Indian developers, Google is often seen as a huge company that’s bullying smaller developers and extorting them. With the Epic Games vs Apple litigation already getting a lot of attention, Google has decided to play it safe in India and buy itself more time.
“We consider it extremely important to understand the concerns across the ecosystem, and these listening sessions over the next several weeks will help us find comprehensive solutions that work for everyone,” Google said in a statement.
Whenever you purchase an app, game, or an in-app package via the Play Store, Google gets 30 percent of the transaction. This was previously limited to direct in-app purchases only and exempted streaming companies like Spotify, Netflix, and more.
Google previously said that new apps must use the Play billing system by January 20, while existing apps were given time until September 30, 2021. India is a very crucial market for the American technology giant and it’ll invest US$ 10 billion in the coming five-seven years.
Apps
Netflix expands its cheaper ad-supported tier to Southeast Asia
This also includes more countries in Europe and South America.
If you don’t care about seeing a deluge of ads on your platforms, you’re an incredibly rare breed these days. That same skill will come in handy for those nicely priced subscription tiers that comes with ads. Netflix, for one, has one of those tiers, and it’s now coming out in more countries.
As is prevalent in other platforms today, an ad-supported subscription tier lowers the price you have to pay every month. The catch, however, is that there will be an occasional sprinkling of ads here and there.
Netflix offers this service, which allows subscribers to get the service for cheap at the expense of their time. Currently, it is limited to only a few major markets in the world. However, the platform is expanding the tier’s reach to more countries in Europe, South America, and Southeast Asia.
Starting in 2027, Netflix’s ad-supported tier will expand to 15 countries: Austria, Belgium, Colombia, Denmark, Indonesia, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, the Philippines, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, and Thailand.
Netflix says that the ad-supported tier is a popular option for subscribers. Currently, the tier has around 250 million subscribers worldwide. Since some of the new countries have a more budget-conscious attitude when it comes to purchasing services, this number will likely go up after the expansion in 2027.
SEE ALSO: Netflix does the unthinkable: Mayweather-Pacquiao II set for September
Google One is a monthly subscription that gives you at least 200GB of cloud storage for your files and photos. For most people, a Google One subscription starts when Google inevitably tells them that their free storage space is running out and will soon stop backing up files. Starting today, new users might get that warning sooner rather than later as Google tests a lower limit to free storage.
Historically, Google offers users 15GB of free storage as a start. However, especially these days, 15GB can run out rapidly, prompting a Google One upgrade. Still, despite how “little” it is, Google’s free storage is generous compared to its contemporaries.
Now, Google is reportedly going to be more at par with the rest. As spotted on Reddit (via 9to5Google), new users will receive only 5GB of free storage. Based on Wayback Machine, the company changed its policy sometime between February to March.
Notably, 15GB is still available as an option, but users have to link their phone numbers to their accounts first.
According to Google, the policy change is meant to encourage users to upgrade their security. However, critics will point out that it just enables the company to collect more data about their users. Of note, the platform is already pushy about linking phone numbers before the change, but this adds another layer to entice people.
Also, Google confirms that the new policy is only a regional test for now. They have not announced when (or if) the change comes out for real.
SEE ALSO: Gmail now makes it easy to unsubscribe from all marketing emails
Apps
Instagram takes on Snapchat yet again with new Instants feature
Posts disappear after they’re viewed once.
The popularity of Snapchat’s competitors is as fleeting as their disappearing messages. However, despite how volatile the market is, Instagram wants to try again with a new feature (and app) called Instants.
Pardon me if you’ve heard this premise before. Instants is a feature that lets users share disappearing photos. However, unlike the 24 hours allotted for Stories, Instants will disappear right after a friend views them, but they can still react and reply to them.
The idea of Instants is to trim the excess fat from what Instagram is these days. Instagram’s Adam Mosseri admits as much when he said users want as easier way to shoot content.
As such, users won’t have access to Instagram’s editing tools. They also can’t upload pre-shot content from their camera roll. Like its contemporaries like BeReal, the new Instants feature is about living in the moment and sharing exactly what users see.
Despite disappearing after a single view, Instants will be automatically archived, so they can be reuploaded as normal Stories later on.
It isn’t the Wild West, though. Even if it pares down all the extra features, Instants will still use the safety features available to all of Instagram. Users, especially young ones, can mute and block others’ Instants. Likewise, parents will have control over when and how their young children interact with the feature.
-
Singapore2 weeks agovivo Y Series launches in Singapore with bigger battery, durability upgrades
-
Gaming2 weeks agoPRAGMATA is not for the faint of heart
-
Laptops1 week agoSpotlight: ASUS Zenbook A16
-
Singapore4 days agoSony Xperia 1 VIII arrives with AI Camera Assistant, bigger telephoto sensor
-
News1 week agoiPhone 17 is the best-selling phone of 2026 so far
-
Gaming1 week agoStranger Than Heaven is a Yakuza prequel with Snoop Dogg
-
Gaming2 weeks agoStar Wars: Galactic Racer launches October 6
-
Automotive1 week agoVinFast VF MPV 7 positioned as practical choice for families
