Enterprise

Samsung is shutting down its last computer factory in China

Due to “fierce market competition”

Published

on

Samsung has a weird relationship with China. Though the brand still has substantial presence in the country, the company has wavered in its Chinese operations, seesawing between increasing and decreasing manufacturing staff. In another step in the cycle, Samsung is shutting down its last computer factory in China.

Reported by South China Morning Post, Samsung is reconsidering its presence in the country after numerous geopolitical issues between the US and China. For example, US President Trump has recently unloaded a barrage of bans and promises against popular Chinese video-sharing platform TikTok. In addition, Samsung cites “fierce market competition” as a motive for pulling out.

In the ensuing mess, the company is shutting down computer production, leaving behind semiconductor factories in other Chinese regions. Last year, it also pulled out from smartphone manufacturing in the country.

Instead of manufacturing, the site will refocus towards research and development. The factory’s staff, though affected, will receive opportunities to transfer facilities in the same country.

Despite the reduction, Samsung still remains committed to providing for the Chinese market. Earlier this year, the company even increased its operations in the memory chip segment. As for another manufacturing site, the company has eyed key locations in Vietnam, keeping its operations within the region.

Samsung has a lot of stake in maintaining its operations worldwide. The company is set to launch major devices within the next few weeks including a five-device Galaxy Unpacked event on August 5.

SEE ALSO: Samsung finally has more than 1 percent market share again in China

Enterprise

Ericsson is defending Huawei against the global ban

For the spirit of competition

Published

on

Huawei is still banned everywhere. Though the company’s consumer products are slowly recuperating, Huawei’s 5G projects are still in danger. Amid the gaps, other companies, like Nokia and Ericsson, have emerged as worthy rivals for the Chinese company. Naturally, you wouldn’t expect a rival complaining about their current circumstances. However, despite their clear advantage, Ericsson is defending Huawei against the global ban.

As reported by the Financial Times, the Sweden-based company is siding with the Chinese company in the former’s own hometown. Ericsson’s CEO, Borje Ekholm, rallied for free competition and trade. He said that Huawei’s ban will ultimately hinder business and new technology in Sweden.

Further, he claims that the Sweden’s ban goes against the European Union’s more generalized rulings to exclude bans against specific companies.

Currently, Huawei and fellow Chinese company ZTE are banned from building 5G infrastructure in Sweden. Any existing telco still using Chinese hardware must phase them out by 2025. Without its biggest rival, Ericsson enjoys an undeniable advantage in its home country.

However, according to the report, Huawei’s ban, and subsequent defense in the courts, is prolonging the finalization of a proper 5G network in the country. And it’s happening everywhere. As Huawei continues to defend its position all over the world, most 5G companies can’t easily move on toward their own projects.

SEE ALSO: It’s official: Huawei has sold Honor

Continue Reading

Enterprise

It’s official: Huawei has sold Honor

To ensure Honor’s survival

Published

on

Honor

Huawei has finally sold its sub-brand Honor to Shenzhen Zhixin New Information Technology Co., Ltd.

The sale means Huawei will no longer hold any shares or be involved in any business management or decision-making activities in the new Honor company. In an official statement, Huawei said the “move has been made by Honor’s industry chain to ensure its own survival.”

Huawei is the world’s second largest smartphone brand and Honor played a vital role in the affordable segment. The company has taken a massive hit over the past two years. The US barred Huawei from transacting with American counterparts due to fear of a cybersecurity risk.

Honor is a well recognized Chinese brand and its image has taken a radical beating this year. Parent company Huawei is also affected because its international markets have come to a grinding halt.

People familiar with the matter said that Honor’s main distributor Digital China shall become the second largest shareholder. It will hold a 15 percent stake. At least three investment firms backed by the Shenzhen Government shall own 10 to 15 percent each.

A direct result of the trade war

Honor is just one of the many casualties for Huawei. The Chinese telecom giant intended to dominate the 5G race, but cybersecurity concerns have forced it to roll-back expectations. Countries like India, Australia, and New Zealand do not trust Huawei equipment and have even taken measures to discourage imports.

While Huawei and Honor were at the center of the discussion, Chinese brands like OPPO, vivo, realme, and Xiaomi have remained unscathed. Their local investments and brand identity have avoided the anti-China sentiment and are in fact, posting positive results in individual markets.

Continue Reading

Enterprise

OPPO is launching a rollable smartphone

Teaser poster confirms

Published

on

OPPO is no stranger to weird smartphone designs. Throughout the years, the smartphone maker has patented multiple experiments including a smartphone-in-a-smartphone. Except the Find X, OPPO hasn’t produced any finalized versions yet. However, a new smartphone revolution is officially coming from the company. As announced, OPPO is launching a rollable smartphone.

On Weibo, the company teased the upcoming smartphone display at the upcoming Inno Day (pegged for tomorrow, November 17). More specifically, OPPO will present a concept device during the event.

Though the post remains scant on details, the poster contains a silhouette tease featuring a screen that retracts. Thankfully, Dutch outlet LetsGoDigital drew some concept art portraying the mechanism. Much like the essence of today’s foldable smartphones, the concept extends to a larger display.

Despite the innovation, OPPO’s concept isn’t a new thing. Sony and LG have previously patented similar designs in the past — albeit without a final product.

Besides a rollable smartphone, OPPO is also launching its first smartphone compatible with the recently launched 125W fast charging solution. Four months ago, the company introduced the fastest wired charging system without a compatible device. The situation will finally change tomorrow.

OPPO will hold the Inno Day tomorrow in Shenzhen, China.

SEE ALSO: OPPO may launch new laptops and tablets next year

Continue Reading

Trending