News

CES 2021 will still push through with an in-person event

Will implement a lot of safety measures

Published

on

Image source: CES

So far, CES 2020 is the only massive tech trade show to escape the ongoing coronavirus pandemic unscathed. Soon after the first show of the year, other similar events — like MWC 2020 — started dropping out for fear of spreading the virus further. Some migrated to online avenues. Some are still pushing through but with severely limited attendance.

With more than half a year to go before the next event, the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) has announced that CES 2021 will continue its years-long tradition of holding an in-person event for the trade showcase. Besides the in-person event, CES 2021 will also branch out into more digital spaces, allowing more livestreaming to broadcast the latest technologies for a wider reach. Though the announcement is only making the rounds now (via The Verge), the CTA has already made and publicized the decision on May 7 through the convention’s website.

This is, of course, a huge deal for the public events industry all over the world. All eyes are on CES 2021 as a safety barometer for the future of public spaces. Though some events are still continuing as normal this year, CES 2021 will likely usher in a new era with new health tools, the “new normal,” and, hopefully, a cure. Who knows what will happen at that point in time?

CES 2021 will still implement public health measure to limit the spread of disease during the show. The CTA is already pondering on various methods like social distancing, temperature scans, mask wearing, contactless payments, and sanitization stations.

Amidst all the potential safety measures in place, we’re seeing the “new normal” in action. For sure, CES 2021 will showcase huge breakthroughs in the tech industry, as it did this year. The annual event will take place from January 6 to 9 next year.

SEE ALSO: IFA 2020 to adopt an ‘innovative’ form of conferencing

India

Google to invest US$10 billion in India over 5-7 years

Tech companies are bullish about India

Published

on

Benjamin Dada on Unsplash

alAt its annual Google for India event, Google announced it will be investing INR 75,000 crore (US$ 10 billion) within the next five to seven years. Google CEO Sundar Pichai said the investment will be via multiple channels. This includes direct investments, partnerships, and infrastructure.

“Investments will focus on four areas important to India’s digitization,” he said emphasizing on infrastructure.

He added that the recent pandemic has shown the need for technology and the adoption of new digital tools. Google will focus on improving internet access and offer more information in regional languages like Hindi, Tamil, Punjabi, and more.

Secondly, it will focus on building new products and services that will empower India’s businesses. Leveraging AI in the fields of health, education, and agriculture is a priority.

Google added that its Internet Saathi has already helped more than 30 million women across India. It’s an initiative that strives to spread internet awareness.

The tech giant has also increased its focus on India in the last few years since the market is hugely untapped. One of its most successful launches has been Google Pay. It leverages the country’s UPI (Unified Payments Interface) to transfer money instantaneously to friends, businesses, and even online services.

Pichai lauded Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of Digital India stating that India has made huge progress.

Continue Reading

News

iQOO promises gaming phone with 120W fast charging this August

Charges from empty in just 15 minutes

Published

on

Image source: iQOO / Weibo

Earlier today, OPPO teased an upcoming 125W fast charging technology this Wednesday. The teaser is the highest charging capability we’ve heard so far. Though definitely a marvel, it certainly aims to upend vivo’s own punches in the battery war.

Coinciding with OPPO’s new teaser, vivo’s gaming sub-brand, iQOO held a press conference in China for the 120W battery technology that it’s been sitting on for quite a while now. Officially named the Super FlashCharge 120W, the upcoming tech can fill a 4000mAh battery in just 15 minutes, much like vivo’s fast charging presentation last year.

In the 15 minutes it took to charge the phone, the press conference detailed how the new technology could accomplish such a feat. Apparently, the battery is designed differently, allowing the device to charge quickly without overheating the phone.

More surprisingly, iQOO has also declared the technology ready for public release already. According to the press conference, the company will release a gaming smartphone built with the technology in August.

Since its inception, iQOO has always touted revolutionary technologies sold at an attractive price, as told by its first-ever flagship. Its most recent flagship, iQOO 3, boasted 55W fast charging and the quirkiest stress test. For sure, whatever iQOO comes up with in August will mimic this prestigious tradition.

SEE ALSO: Vivo now has its own smartphone sub-brand named iQOO

Continue Reading

News

OPPO teases 125W fast charging, the fastest to date

Going up against vivo’s iQOO

Published

on

Image source: OPPO / Weibo

Don’t you just hate it when you forget to charge your phone overnight? Thanks to new battery technologies, charging might soon become a thing of the past. Most recently, the upcoming Snapdragon 875 chipset will supposedly support 100W fast charging, a huge improvement over current standards.

Of course, this isn’t the first time that an impressive charging standard has made its debut. Last year, Xiaomi and vivo previewed an upcoming prototype for 100W and 120W fast charging technologies, respectively. However, the prototypes debuted with no definite launch date.

Today, OPPO’s own fast-charging technology has made another appearance. Posted on its official Weibo account, OPPO teased a new all-time high: 125W fast charging. Though it’s only 5W higher than vivo’s past prototype, 125W isn’t something to scoff at. vivo’s 120W charging demonstration filled an empty 4000mAh battery in just 13 minutes. OPPO’s 125W technology will likely push this even further.

Besides the teaser, OPPO also posted a definitive date: July 15. The company will likely reveal more details in a few days. Hopefully, the impending presentation will also reveal when the technology will finally make its way to a public release.

Apparently, OPPO saw it fit to launch a huge salvo in the battery wars today. vivo’s gaming sub-brand, iQOO, held a revelatory press conference for the 120W fast charging. While OPPO is still sitting on its 125W charging tech, iQOO is already gearing up for a release as soon as August.

SEE ALSO: Unboxing the OPPO Find X2 Pro Automobili Lamborghini Edition

Continue Reading

Trending