If it wasn’t bad enough for 55 million Filipino voters that their personal and identifiable information was made public last month after hackers breached the Commission on Elections’ computer systems and stole the database for the May 9 Philippine national elections, there’s now a search engine for the data dump.
And that should spell trouble for anyone included in the Comelec database — which is more than half the Philippine population — as reports indicated that the stolen data may include one’s address, birthdate, birthplace, names of relatives, passport number, and fingerprint data, among others.
That means anyone with a partial or full name in mind can simply enter the name in the website to fish out sensitive details from the leaked database. Information you wouldn’t want to end up in the wrong hands.
You probably don’t need us to tell you what the implications are for those whose information has been compromised. Being targeted by identity thieves and other criminals is just one of the many threats posed by what experts are calling the biggest breach of government computer networks in the country’s history.
“The database contains a lot of sensitive information, including fingerprint data and passport information. So, we thought that it would be fun to make a search engine over that data,” the website says.
It bears noting that while the search engine can possibly track the personal information of millions of Filipinos, not all voter records have been indexed by the site. But then again, that’s not to say those whose names don’t appear in the search results are not susceptible to security threats.
UPDATE, 7:05 p.m.: Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez posted a statement on Twitter. It reads:
[irp posts=”2204″ name=”MMDA launches search tool for traffic violations”]
US government will be banned from using Huawei and ZTE tech
Not a total ban, though
The president of the United States has just imposed a major ban against two Chinese tech giants, Huawei and ZTE, from working with the US government. The ban is a component of the Defense Authorization Act which US President Donald Trump has just signed after months of discussions.
We first heard news about the bill earlier this month followed by reports of Huawei spying on people and ZTE getting banned after getting accused of selling merchandise to US rivals. The fiasco hindered Huawei phones from getting sold through US carriers. ZTE, on the other hand, was saved by Trump as confirmed by his tweet.
In the end, though, both Chinese companies now have the same fate. The US Congress worked on a measure that will essentially ban the US government and soon-to-be allies from using components and availing services from Huawei, ZTE, and a number of other Chinese communications companies.
The ban, which will go into effect over the next two years, doesn’t completely cut the ties of the US with Huawei and ZTE. The Chinese companies are not allowed to be part of any “essential” or “critical” systems of the US government, but they can still work with the US government as long as they will not be used to route or view data.
Huawei is not happy about the ban, of course, and calls it a “random addition” to the defense bill which is “ineffective, misguided, and unconstitutional.” The company also said that the ban will increase cost for consumers and businesses.
Via: The Verge
Samsung falls to less than one percent market share in China
Might pull out of Chinese market by next year
Recently, Samsung launched the Galaxy Note 9 to worldwide acclaim. Ironically, despite the positive response, the company is still slogging through one of its most dismal years to date. Previously, the Galaxy S9 opened to tepid, abysmal sales.
Now, with the dawn of more capable competitors, Samsung is falling more drastically than ever before. Formerly a stalwart in China, the company has now fallen to less than one percent market share in one of the world’s biggest markets.
Just a few years ago, Samsung’s phones captured a comfortable market share lead at 20 percent. The huge lead accurately represented Samsung’s grip on the market at the time.
However, with the recent developments (or lack thereof), the balance of power is steadily shifting. This year, gigantic (but more affordable) outings from smaller companies — Huawei, OnePlus, OPPO, Xiaomi — have taken the market by storm.
Besides the downpour of competitive rivals, Samsung has cited the decline of the smartphone market at large as a reason. From the lack of revolutionary features, adoption and upgrade rates have declined, causing an overall plateauing of phone sales.
According to Reuters, Samsung is considering drastic measures to alleviate the slump in sales. Most radically, the company might pull out of the Chinese market entirely.
Specifically, the plan affects Samsung’s Tianjin factory in Northern China. On its own, the facility manufactures 36 million phones per year. Additionally, Samsung has other plants nearby in Huizhou and Vietnam.
Currently, Samsung officials have yet to decide on the Chinese market’s ultimate fate. However, the pull-out is still a tempting move to improve efficiency.
Regardless, Samsung will remain as a global powerhouse even if it withdraws from the Chinese market. If anything, the move will dictate the company’s (and its Chinese competitors’) trajectory for the future.
Besides Samsung, Apple has also fared similarly, bowing out to Chinese brands in multiple markets.
EU might force Apple to abandon the Lightning cable
Voting yes for a USB-powered iPhone
Recently, the EU has gone on a mass crusade against the world’s biggest tech firms. To the benefit of the region’s consumers, the European Commission is trying to create a universally competitive industry.
In 2009, the EU has urged tech firms to create a more universal standard for smartphone charging. At the time, fourteen companies including Apple and Samsung signed the pledge.
However, as you can probably guess, these efforts fell terribly flat. Companies have still segmented the industry into a plethora of charger options — micro-USB, USB Type-C, and Lightning, for starters.
Irked by the lack of results, EU Commissioner of Competition Margrethe Vestager has taken matters into her own hands. The Commission is researching if additional regulations can rescue the industry.
Currently, the EU is concerned over the rising number of wasted chargers and cables. Because of the different standards, users are forced to shelve their old cables to accommodate phone upgrades.
Among the affected companies, Apple has created the most disparity. Notoriously, the company has stuck with its own exclusive cables. Whereas its competitors have relied on USB standards, Apple has used FireWire, the dock connector, and the Lightning cable.
Apple’s exclusivity creates an advantageous but unfair revenue stream for the company. Users are forced to source their cables from the company directly (or indirectly through licensed products).
As such, any future EU regulations will likely affect Apple the most. From a consumer’s standpoint, Apple switching to USB will please users the most.
Even without the regulation, a USB-powered iPhone is still plausible. Previously, Apple had already considered a break from Lightning before releasing the iPhone X.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 review: Is a smartphone enough to document your vacation?
I left all my other gadgets behind!
Vivo V11 (V11 Pro) review: Innovation continues to reign
A step up from its competitors
NBA 2K19: A complacent champion
Needs a legit challenger
First-ever Ford Ranger Raptor lands in the Philippines
Nokia 5.1 Plus launches with dual rear cameras and a notch
iPhone XS and XS Max Unboxing
Motorola One Power launches with a huge battery
All filters: Article 13 of the EUCD explained
Best Budget Smartphones in the Philippines below P10,000
Best Midrange Smartphones in the Philippines from P10,000 to P20,000
Best Upper-Midrange Smartphones in the Philippines from P20,000 to P30,000
Best Midrange Smartphones from $200 to $400
Best Premium Smartphones in the Philippines above P30,000
News2 weeks ago
Apple iPhone XR lowers price, adds more colors
Gaming5 days ago
Sony unveils PlayStation Classic, comes pre-loaded with 20 games
Camera Shootouts2 weeks ago
OPPO F9 vs Vivo V11: Camera shootout
News1 week ago
Galaxy Note 9 reportedly burst into flames inside a woman’s purse
News2 weeks ago
Apple discounts iPhone 8 and 7, discontinues iPhone X, iPhone 6s, iPhone SE
News7 days ago
Huawei Mate 20 cases leak, confirming square camera setup
News2 weeks ago
Samsung Galaxy A9 Star looks like the Huawei P20
News2 weeks ago
Apple iPhone XS and XS Max launch with significant upgrades