News

Uber suspended in the Philippines for a month [Updated]

Published

on

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board or LTFRB has suspended the operation of ride-sharing service Uber for one month in the Philippines. The suspension is due to the company’s failure to comply to an earlier mandate by the transportation regulating body.

A CNN Philippines report cites LTFRB spokesperson Aileen Lizada saying that Uber violated its July 26, 2017 order to stop accepting applications for accreditation. The spokesperson said Uber activated at least three vehicles the very next day.


In an August 1 statement, Uber clarified that they indeed accepted applications saying they are “optimistic that with the ongoing discussions with the LTFRB, ride-sharing has a path forward.” The company insists these applications were not processed.

The suspension order was issued 6PM of August 14, 2017. The LTFRB also “strongly recommends” that Uber provide its drivers financial assistance during the suspension period.

Uber Philippines has issued a statement on the morning of Tuesday, August 15, 2017 saying they will comply with the suspension order and that they are doing everything they can “to resolve the situation in the soonest possible time.”

LTFRB versus Uber and Grab

There is an ongoing discussion between the LTFRB and ride-sharing services Uber and Grab over how the two companies should be regulated in the Philippines. Grab is another service that operates in the Philippines and in nearby countries.

In July 2016, the LTFRB issued a memo to Uber and Grab to stop accepting and processing applications. The two companies defied the order citing public demand as the primary reason and has since paid PhP 5 million as fine for the violation.

Uber facing issues around the world

Uber is no stranger to facing difficulties against the government. The company has appeared in headlines all over the world for continuing to operate without securing proper permits from the respective countries they operate in. Uber previously faced suspensions and fines in countries like South Korea, Taiwan, and New Zealand among others over a similar issue.

The ride-sharing service has also faced opposition from local taxi drives worldwide. Cab drivers and operators in countries like Spain, Portugal, and many others said Uber is unfair competition.

Update (12:30PM, GMT+8 Manila Time)

It looks like Uber Philippines isn’t going to let their operations stall after all.

According to the company’s official Twitter account, a motion for reconsideration has been filed for the one-month suspension to be lifted. In the meantime, Uber will continue its services despite the LTFRB’s original orders.

In a report by ABS-CBN News LTFRB’s Lizada said the suspension “stands” despite Uber’s motion for reconsideration. The same report stated that Lizada sent a text message to the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority or MMDA saying, “Uber is online again. Let us apprehend them.”

Update (7:20PM, GMT+8 Manila Time)

The LTFRB has denied Uber Philippines’ motion for reconsideration to lift the month-long suspension. In a statement posted on its Twitter account, Uber said it will continue to work on resolving the matter urgently.

SEE ALSO: Grab will give you a free horse ride in Baguio

[irp posts=”1421" name=”Grab will give you a free horse ride in Baguio”]

News

OnePlus 7T new design revealed, release date confirmed

Launching on September 26

Published

on

Ever since the leaks and renders of OnePlus 7T started making rounds on the internet, many have speculated that OnePlus will launch a successor to their recently released OnePlus 7 series. Today, OnePlus Founder and CEO Pete Lau shared on Twitter the first official look at the new design of the OnePlus 7T.

If we’re to go by rumors and previous releases, the world will see OnePlus unveil two new smartphones — the 7T and the 7T Pro.


Both the OnePlus 7T and the 7T Pro are expected to have triple rear cameras, a 90Hz display, and a Snapdragon 855+ processor under the hood. The OnePlus 7T is expected to be a major upgrade from the Oneplus 7 which seems like a repackaged OnePlus 6T. Meanwhile, the OnePlus 7T Pro is expected to be a minor upgrade from the OnePlus 7 Pro, with updates coming for the battery and the display only.

The company could also unveil a 5G model along with these two models. Also, they might launch their OnePlus TV to go along with the OnePlus 7T series.

Availability

The company also announced in its forum that it will be holding two launch dates. Global launch will be on September 26 in India and North America, while a UK launch is scheduled for October 10.

Pricing for both devices is unknown at the moment, but expect both devices to break the US$ 600 mark. Base storage configuration for the OnePlus 7T is expected to start at 128GB. Meanwhile, the OnePlus 7T Pro’s storage is expected to start at 256GB.

The launch of the 7T series means the OnePlus 7 series and even the OnePlus 6T could see massive price discounts. Those holding off from buying a new phone could consider these discounted models.

SEE ALSO: OnePlus 7T specs leak before launch

Continue Reading

News

Samsung might fuse the Galaxy S and the Galaxy Note into one series

Is the Galaxy One coming?

Published

on

Even if you’re not a Samsung fan, you’ll still recognize the brand’s two darling children — the Galaxy S and the Galaxy Note series. For the longest time, Samsung has divided every year in half. The long-standing Galaxy S dominates the first half. Meanwhile, the premium Galaxy Note series takes up the second half. Like yin and yang, both series coexist in perfect harmony, creating a wonderfully profitable year for Samsung.

Sometimes, however, the difference between either smartphone just isn’t clear. As technology gets better and better, the Galaxy S starts looking incredibly similar to the Galaxy Note. By far, the Galaxy Note’s biggest differentiator is just the S Pen. Everything else is more arbitrary.


Unsurprisingly, Samsung is having the same thoughts. According to a rumor shared by the renowned leakster Evan Blass (@evleaks), Samsung is considering a major rebranding strategy. Next year, the company might merge the Galaxy S and the Galaxy Note into one gigantic lineup. The potential strategy comes as a follow-up to the recent re-release of the Galaxy Fold.

Currently, Samsung is evaluating the demand for the new foldable form factor. If the Galaxy Fold performs remarkably well, the company has a much bigger reason to combine both its previous lines. In that scenario, the Galaxy Fold (and its successors) will take over the second half currently occupied by the Galaxy Note. The new combination, on the other hand, will have the same release schedule as the Galaxy S line.

As a rumor, the potential line does not have any substantial details yet. However, it will likely have the form factor of the Galaxy S line and the S Pen of the Galaxy Note. The line could potentially carry the name “Galaxy One,” rather than “S11.”

It’s still very early to tell what will happen to Samsung in the succeeding years. However, the substantial rumor speaks volumes for the future of both Samsung and the tech industry at large. Is the Galaxy S10 and the Note 10 the last of their lines?

SEE ALSO: It’s official! The Samsung Galaxy Fold is available globally

Continue Reading

Automotive

This is the 2020 Land Rover Defender

More than capable on- and off-road

Published

on

Land Rover has introduced its new boxy 4×4. Sporting modern but still familiar looks, the 2020 Defender is still up to the task of conquering unpaved roads — while also promising a smoother and more comfortable ride.

The new Defender now looks meaner with its owl-like LED Daytime Running Lights while its large bumper gives the front fascia that appreciated bulk for a more rugged look.


Although a little bit curvier than before, its hood and panels remain thick and flat which has the older Defender’s DNA all over it.

The rear, of course, is where the spare tire is mounted. It also comes with stacked taillights and a skid plate on its bumper for added protection against bumps and dings.

Inside is a versatile cabin. The Defender 90 is a six-seater model while the Defender 110 is available in five-seat or five-plus-two-seat configurations. One of its interesting features is the front-row bench that you can fold and unfold to either accommodate a third person up front or use as cupholders.

It comes with a 10-inch touchscreen, Jaguar Land Rover’s Pivi Pro infotainment system, and onboard Wi-Fi.

The new Defender is available in a new mild-hybrid with turbo as well as petrol and diesel engines as alternatives. All are mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission.

To make off-roading a lot easier, it features the company’s ClearSight Ground View that shows the road or terrain under the vehicle. It also has the ClearSight RearView in case a large cargo is blocking your line of sight. These are the same ones we’ve played with on the Range Rover Evoque which proved really helpful.

Other notable features for the new Defender include a 900mm wading depth, Terrain Response 2 System, and a towing capacity enough to pull a trailer.

There will be different trim levels and accessory packs to choose from based on what kind of adventures you’re bringing the Defender to. The all-new 4×4 will be available in over 100 markets around the globe.

Continue Reading

Trending