News

Apple’s WWDC goes online-only due to coronavirus

The company takes a positive spin on the coronavirus crisis

Published

on

Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) is the latest major tech event to take a hit from the novel coronavirus outbreak, now declared a global pandemic by the WHO.

But instead of outright cancellation, the company today announced that their event will still take place online.

In true Apple fashion, the company is taking a positive spin on the crisis, promising an innovative new online-only format that will contain the same full program as previous events.   

“We are delivering WWDC 2020 this June in an innovative way to millions of developers around the world, bringing the entire developer community together with a new experience,” said Phil Schiller, Apple’s SVP of Worldwide Marketing.

The announcement follows the cancellation of other big events from Google and Facebook in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. 

“The current health situation has required that we create a new WWDC 2020 format that delivers a full program with an online keynote and sessions, offering a great learning experience for our entire developer community, all around the world. We will be sharing all of the details in the weeks ahead.”

Apple says it will commit $1 million to local San Jose organizations to offset associated revenue loss as a result of WWDC 2020’s new online format. Since 2017 the event has been held at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California.

WWDC is the event where Apple announces new versions and features of Mac OS and iOS that that power its hardware lineup.

The event is scheduled for sometime this June, parameters of the online event will be announced at a later day.

SEE ALSO:
How to disinfect your tech from the coronavirus
Apple: Coronavirus might cause iPhone shortage
COVID-19 effect: Facebook, Twitter employees advised to work from home


As general rules, the CDC or The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention listed these to help with preventing the spread of COVID-19:

  • Stay home when sick
  • Cover coughs and sneezes
  • Frequently wash hands with soap and water
  • Clean frequently touched surfaces

Enterprise

UK officially bans Huawei

Effective 2021

Published

on

You know about Huawei’s battle with America. For several years, the Trump administration has forced the Chinese company from American businesses with nary a letup. However, for all the company’s troubles in the US, Huawei has faced a more optimistic future in the European continent. Unfortunately, their European respite is coming to an end.

Today, the United Kingdom has officially banned Huawei from its telecommunications industry, according to an official government announcement. However, unlike the US ban, Huawei has a fairly comfortable transition period. The company can remain in business until December 31 this year. Starting January 1, 2021, UK business cannot buy 5G hardware from Huawei anymore.

Additionally, Huawei can still technically stay in the country for several years. However, the company must slowly transition out of the country by 2027.

As noted previously, the UK’s concerns with Huawei stem from national cybersecurity issues brought on by the US. The company is facing similar cybersecurity issues in other territories.

If anything, the generous transition period will likely take up most of 5G’s life cycle before the next generation comes in. Still, Huawei is once again in deep trouble following the latest ban. The company is still experiencing the same hostility in the US.

Of course, Huawei’s consumer products might still make it through the ban. Most of the global bans affect only the company’s 5G hardware. Currently, Huawei is a fairly known brand in the UK as far as consumer devices go.

SEE ALSO: US is calling Huawei, ZTE a national security threat

Continue Reading

News

OnePlus Nord officially revealed before launch

Carl Pei unveils phone on MKBHD’s channel

Published

on

Over the past few weeks, OnePlus hasn’t shied away from teasing its upcoming midrange smartphone, the OnePlus Nord. Highlighted by an incredibly vocal and snarky Instagram account, the OnePlus Nord is poised to debut with a clamor of fanfare. The company is carefully controlling the outflow of information about the new series. That said, what else can the industry possibly leak about the device?

Apparently, with the launch date only a week away, OnePlus has shed most of its secrecies. OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei himself appeared on popular tech YouTuber Marques Brownlee’s channel for an official reveal of the OnePlus Nord.

Specifically, Brownlee interviewed the OnePlus boss about the costs of the upcoming smartphone. In doing so, the YouTuber revealed the official design when it comes out. Further, Pei also revealed a few unapproved prototypes of the midrange series. Though still sharing in the same profile, the prototype looks different enough to be distinguished as its own series.

Based on the reveal, the series will come in two colors: Black and Teal. Speaking of teal, Pei was notably wearing a pair of teal earbuds during the interview as well. Though they weren’t the focus of the video, the teaser also hints at an upcoming launch for the wireless earbuds as well.

OnePlus is officially launching the OnePlus Nord on July 21. However, if you can’t wait for more details about the upcoming series, the company is already leaking details slowly through all of its social media accounts.

SEE ALSO: More OnePlus Nord specs leaked, hints at second midrange phone

Continue Reading

News

Xiaomi’s 100W fast charging will reported debut next month

According to Weibo report

Published

on

Yesterday, OPPO and vivo (specifically, iQOO) announced a new battle in the charging wars. Each brand resurrected their prototypes for fast charging technologies. On the one hand, OPPO teased an official event for 125W fast charging on Wednesday. On the other, vivo’s iQOO promised an August launch date for a 100W fast charging gaming smartphone.

Of course, when these two brands make their respective moves on a new technology, Xiaomi isn’t lagging far behind. Today, Xiaomi’s name was thrown into the ring, albeit without an official announcement.

According to a reputable source on Weibo, Xiaomi has already submitted its 100W fast charging technology to Foxconn’s mass production last June. With devices already in the works, Xiaomi’s fast charging smartphones should reportedly launch in August as well.

Xiaomi’s tech had already debuted before. Last year, the brand threw some shade at OPPO’s fast charging at the time. Whereas OPPO’s device charged at just 50W, Xiaomi’s 100W device charged an empty 4000mAh device in just 17 minutes. Unfortunately, the technology never made it past the trash talking in that year.

With the charging war (possibly literally) heating up, it won’t be long before Xiaomi, OPPO, and vivo all make good on their promises for superior charging technology. We can only hope that they come with appropriate cooling technology to handle all that heat.

SEE ALSO: Snapdragon 875 will support 100W fast charging, report says

Continue Reading

Trending