News

Two U.S. carriers to halt all sales, exchanges of Note 7 [UPDATED]

Published

on

Samsung can’t put the second half of the year behind it fast enough. And its troubles are yet to subside; quite the contrary, they are worsening.

Two major U.S. carriers — AT&T and T-Mobile — on Sunday said they would halt all sales and exchanges of the troubled Samsung phone following reports of fires caused by new and “safe” Note 7 units.

“Based on recent reports, we’re no longer exchanging new Note 7s at this time, pending further investigation of these reported incidents,” AT&T said in an email sent to The Verge Sunday. “We still encourage customers with a recalled Note 7 to visit an AT&T location to exchange that device for another Samsung smartphone or other smartphone of their choice.”

[irp posts=”4473″ name=”You should replace your Samsung Galaxy Note 7 before it’s too late”]

T-Mobile head John Legere on Twitter said his company would stop selling and exchanging the Note 7 “out of an abundance of caution for our customers.” The carrier encourages subscribers to exchange their Note 7s with another device on T-Mobile and is giving a $25 credit on their bill.

U.S regulators are currently investigating the replacement Note 7 handset that caught fire on a Southwest Airlines flight on October 5. The plane was evacuated prior to take-off and no injuries were reported. At least four other incidents of replacement Note 7s catching fire have been reported in the U.S. alone.

In Minnesota, a young girl said she experienced a “weird, burning sensation” while holding her device; the phone later showed burn marks that were consistent with previous cases of Note 7s that were literally too hot to handle.

A man from Kentucky told local news outlet WKYT he woke up to find his bedroom filled with black smoke from his burnt Note 7. The man went on to say Samsung knew about it and didn’t say anything.

Even more damning, a Samsung representative allegedly sent him an inadvertent text message (likely intended for another company official) which said: “Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it.”

[irp posts=”4936″ name=”How to identify a safe Samsung Galaxy Note 7″]

The fourth incident involves a man in Virginia whose replacement Note 7 “burst into flames” on his nightstand on October 9th. The man provided The Verge with copies of his receipts and photographs of his Note 7 box to corroborate his story.

The latest reported incident came from a Texas family who witnessed their device catch fire on a table. It had been replaced at a retail store in September.

Samsung has since issued a statement in which it said it is investigating the fires and working with U.S. authorities — in particular, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) — throughout the investigation. The company promises to share its findings “as soon as possible.” You can read the full statement below.

Samsung understands the concern our carriers and consumers must be feeling after recent reports have raised questions about our newly released replacement Note 7 devices.

We continue to move quickly to investigate the reported case to determine the cause and will share findings as soon as possible.

We remain in close contact with the CPSC throughout this process.

If we conclude a safety issue exists, we will work with the CPSC to take immediate steps to address the situation.

We want to reassure our customers that we take every report seriously and we appreciate their patience as we work diligently through this process.

At this point, it seems almost certain that we’ll hear about another global recall soon, and that the once-promising flagship will be pulled from shelves for good this time.

If the reports are indeed accurate, Samsung should cut its losses and discontinue the Note 7, and focus its efforts on making amends with affected customers. And it has to knock everyone’s socks off with next year’s S8 to even have a chance at winning back public opinion. That phone ought to be capable of doing more than just scanning irises and taking pictures with two rear cameras.

UPDATE, October 10: Verizon also announced today it would stop issuing replacement Note 7 phones to its customers. The company has the most wireless subscribers in the U.S.

UPDATE 2, October 11: The Galaxy Note 7 is done for. Samsung has asked all carriers and retail partners to “stop sales and exchanges” of the phone. Here’s the latest statement from the company.

We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note 7. Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 while the investigation is taking place.

We remain committed to working diligently with appropriate regulatory authorities to take all necessary steps to resolve the situation. Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available.

UPDATE 3, October 12: Samsung said on Tuesday it would permanently cease production and sales of the Galaxy Note 7, The Wall Street Journal reports. To quote the company’s statement:

Taking our customer’s safety as our highest priority, we have decided to halt sales and production of the Galaxy Note 7.

The move effectively ends the phablet’s brief and embattled existence. Analysts said it could cost the company $17 billion in losses and forgone sales.

Source: The Verge, Samsung

News

Upcoming Galaxy M41 will have a 6800mAh battery

Battery officially certified

Published

on

Earlier this year, Samsung launched the Galaxy M31, a capable midrange phone sporting a huge 6000mAh. Naturally, the only thing to do with a sizable battery is to test it to the breaking point. In our hands, the smartphone lasts an impressive 28 hours with some change to spare. With such a fierce device, what else can Samsung do in the battery department?

Apparently, quite a bit. Spotted recently on a battery certification site by Rootmygalaxy, Samsung is already working on a sequel to this device, what is presumably the Galaxy M41. If the filing comes to fruition, the next device will come with an even larger 6800mAh battery.

The filing was issued on June 28, only a few days ago. It also comes with a photo of the Li-ion battery. Though bigger in power, the battery doesn’t seem to cause the phone itself to bloat in size. Of course, a photo of the battery is nothing without the actual device. No one but Samsung knows how the device will ultimately look at this point.

Image source: Rootmygalaxy

Another thing to note is the naming of the next device. Previous rumors have speculated that the company has ditched the M41, heading straight to the M51 instead. Either way, the device almost certainly belongs to the battery-centered series.

Though it is already in the works, the sequel might take a while before it comes out to the public.

The current generation, the Galaxy M31, is already available today in Black and Blue. It’s an online exclusive, retailing for PhP 13,990 (US$ 283).

SEE ALSO: Samsung Galaxy Note 20 rumor roundup: Snapdragon 865+, 120Hz, new S Pen

Continue Reading

News

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 coming on August 5, leak says

Earlier than last year

Published

on

Recently, we compiled all the leaks, rumors, and confirmed details of the upcoming Galaxy Note 20 series. Without a doubt, Samsung plans to go big with the latest release after a sour patch from the pandemic era. However, despite all the glitz that we already know, we don’t know when the next series is exactly launching.

Based on a previous report, the company is set to launch three new devices between August and October, with a different device launching each month. The same reports claims that the Galaxy Note 20 will launch in August, just as it does every year. However, without an official confirmation or invitation from the company, it’s all guesswork based on a rough timeline.

Thankfully, one of the most reliable sources for the upcoming series has just come in with a new update. According to a new tweet from renowned Samsung leaker Ice Universe, the next Galaxy series is coming on August 5, just a tad bit earlier than last year’s Galaxy Note 10 series.

Now, the leaker doesn’t explicitly state the Galaxy Note 20 series by name. However, given the amount of details that are out already, it’s almost definitely the Galaxy Note 20.

Without a doubt, Samsung is launching the Galaxy Note 20 series hard and fast. The premium smartphone series is expected to launch with two variants: a regular Note 20 and a Note 20 Ultra (or Note 20+, depending on who you ask).

The countdown is on. One more month, ladies and gentlemen!

SEE ALSO: Samsung accidentally leaked Galaxy Note 20 Ultra images

Continue Reading

News

Leaked Galaxy Watch 3 gestures include very offensive hand movements

It’s what you do if you love yourself very much

Published

on

Today’s gesture controls have appropriated our everyday movements for other purposes. With wearable technology, a finger twirl can answer a call or silence your phone. However, unless everyone else knows what you’re doing, gesture controls can mean that you’re doing a lot of weird motions in public. It’s part of a tech designer’s job to come up with gestures that don’t look too weird.

Unfortunately, Samsung might have misplaced their smartwatch designer. According to a Gizmodo report, the Galaxy Watch 3 has a couple of ill-advised gestures.

Starting with the upcoming device, Samsung is introducing gesture controls to Bixby, allowing users to control their watch (and subsequently, their phones) with a flick of the wrist. As the report has indicated, the more general commands are safe enough: raising your arm to speak, for example. Further, the device also comes with fall detection, which can alert authorities if ever you stumble and become unresponsive.

Another leaked gesture, however, is odd. A single fist pump is the “confirm gesture,” which presumably responds to yes/no/okay prompts. Though inoffensive on its own, the gesture can raise a few eyebrows when done in public.

Image source: Gizmodo

If that’s not awkward enough, the third leaked gesture is ten times worse. To mute the device, you have to shake your fist a few times. In a way, it’s a different type of fist pump. Further, if you’re in London, the gesture — known as the wanker hand sign — is as offensive as a middle finger. Now, we don’t think we need to explain what “wank” means. Certainly, it’s not a gesture you’d want to display in public.

Of course, Samsung has not officially launched or announced the watch yet. Currently, we know only rumors at this point.

SEE ALSO: Samsung debuts the Galaxy Watch Active 2

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Gadget Reviews

Trending