News

Huawei Mate 10 Pro leak shows edge-to-edge display, dual rear cameras

Published

on

Huawei is all set to announce the Mate 10 on October 16, and as we get closer to the launch date, teasers and leaks have started to show up. This includes a high-resolution press render of the upcoming phone courtesy of leakster Evan Blass.

We’ve seen a number of alleged Mate 10 renders before (some are fake), but there’s nothing compared to the official render that’ll be released to the public. The ever-reliable Blass has obtained this, which is said to be the Huawei Mate 10 Pro — not just the standard variant.

Blass revealed earlier that there will be three variants of the Mate 10: a standard, a more powerful Mate 10 Pro, and a budget-friendly Mate 10 Lite. We’re not sure yet about the differences between the standard model and the Pro, though.

The Mate 10 Pro render confirms its rumored edge-to-edge panel, making it one of the first Huawei devices to join the borderless club of smartphones. It’s said to be a 6-inch LCD with an 18:9 aspect ratio and a resolution of 1440 x 2880 pixels. Other rumored specs include the new in-house Kirin 970 processor, 6GB of memory, and either 64GB or 128GB of storage.

The dual rear cameras are also worth noting, as they are still co-developed with Leica and will have a large f/1.6 aperture like the LG V30. The image sensors are rumored to be similar to the P10’s with one being a 12-megapixel color unit and the other a 20-megapixel monochrome sensor. For selfies, it has a standard 8-megapixel front camera.

Lastly, the Mate 10 Pro will have at least three colors at launch — black, blue, and brown. Expect them to have fancy nicknames when they get announced like Dazzling Blue or Obsidian Black.

We’ll just have to wait for a few weeks to finally see Huawei’s next flagship in the flesh. It’ll be an exciting phone to watch out for with the Chinese company’s focus on artificial intelligence, thanks to their latest Kirin processor.

SEE ALSO: Huawei finally overtakes Apple in smartphone sales

[irp posts=”19801″ name=”Huawei finally overtakes Apple in smartphone sales”]

Enterprise

The US has temporarily halted the TikTok and WeChat ban

Published

on

Late last week, Trump finally brought the hammer down on TikTok and WeChat. Supposedly, by Sunday, both Apple and Google should have pulled the platforms from their respective app stores. However, in a late ruling, that’s not happening anymore. As of late Sunday afternoon, the United States has temporarily halted the TikTok and WeChat ban.

In San Francisco, a US Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler has ruled in favor of TikTok and WeChat. According to Reuters, the judge found “serious questions going to the merits of the First Amendment [or right to free speech] claim.” Further, the ruling states that the bans will not alleviate the government’s cybersecurity concerns at all. If anything, it will only impede the communication between private individuals using the platform.

Yesterday, TikTok officially filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration, citing violations in both the right to free speech and due process. Now, the judge’s ruling effectively blocked the ban from taking place. Of note, however, the ruling covers only WeChat.

On the TikTok side of things, the US Commerce Department temporarily halted the order of its own accord. Besides the lawsuit against the administration, TikTok is also in the middle of a finalized business deal with Oracle (whom Trump gave a blessing to).

Though both bans are on hold, the platforms’ futures are still up in the air. With a finalized buyer already, TikTok is looking to form a separate, American-owned corporation, TikTok Global, to continue its operations in the country. Meanwhile, WeChat is still figuring future plans on its own. Trump has also started to question WeChat’s owner Tencent in its other businesses.

SEE ALSO: China would rather shut TikTok down than sell it

Continue Reading

Enterprise

TikTok is suing Trump

Citing violation of free speech and due process

Published

on

Late last week, President Donald Trump issued a final directive against TikTok’s Chinese operations in the United States. Starting late Sunday, Apple and Google will forcibly pull the popular platform out of their respective app stores. TikTok doesn’t have much recourse. To stave off the potential shutdown, TikTok is suing Trump.

Reported by The Wall Street Journal, ByteDance filed an eleventh-hour lawsuit against the administration for violating the right to free speech. Further, the company claims the lack of due process in the impending ban.

Over the past two months, Trump fired off a vicious crusade against TikTok. Back in August, his administration issued a deadline for the platform to either leave the country or find an American buyer.

Since then, Oracle has emerged as the winner for TikTok’s US operations. Over the weekend, Trump has also “given the deal [his] blessing,” as reported by Reuters. With the deal, Oracle will create a new corporation, named TikTok Global, for the platform’s US operations. The upcoming company will recruit American directors and a security consultant on the board.

That said, TikTok’s fate is still up in the air. Whereas TikTok’s strategy will delay the ban, Trump’s erratic moves will force the platform to quickly shift to American control. More news will likely surface after the weekend.

SEE ALSO: China would rather shut TikTok down than sell it

Continue Reading

News

Samsung Galaxy M51 price and availability in the Philippines

Another monster battery phone!

Published

on

Samsung’s new beast — the Galaxy M51 — is finally making its way to the Philippines. With an official listed page on the Samsung Philippines website, the arrival of this monster battery phone is imminent.

The Galaxy M51 prides itself with a massive 7000mAh battery that supports 25W fast charging. This new midrange phone sports a 6.67-inch Super AMOLED+ Infinity-O display. On its front, you can find an in-display fingerprint scanner and a punch-hole camera housing a 32-megapixel shooter.

It’s powered by an octa-core Snapdragon 730G processor, equipped with 8GB RAM and 128GB internal storage. For extra storage, it comes with a MicroSD slot up to 512GB.

Meanwhile, its rear features a quad-camera setup: a 64-megapixel primary sensor, a 12-megapixel ultra-wide-angle lens, a 5-megapixel depth sensor, and a 5-megapixel macro camera.

Regarding its ports, the Galaxy M51 uses a USB Type-C port and the well-loved 3.5mm audio jack. In line with all other Galaxy-branded phones, it’ll ship with OneUI out-of-the-box and Samsung Knox, Samsung’s multi-layered security feature.

Price and availability

The Samsung Galaxy M51 will retail for PhP 19,990 and will come in two colors: Black and White. It will be exclusively available online starting September 25, 2020, at Samsung’s official online store, eCommerce partners such as Lazada, Shopee, Abenson, and MemoXpress, and telecom companies like Globe and Smart. Early birds can score up to PhP 2,098 worth of freebies from September 25-28, 2020.

SEE ALSO: Samsung Galaxy M31: How long does a 6000mAh battery last?

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Gadget Reviews

Trending