News

What Samsung PH, Globe have to say about Note 7 replacement plans

Published

on

Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Less than 24 hours after Samsung’s announcement to end production and sales of its wildly controversial phablet, Samsung Philippines today reiterated the same sentiments and urged customers to switch off their Galaxy Note 7 — be it an original or a replacement — and exchange it for a different handset or money.

The company said it is currently working closely with local retailers and carriers Globe Telecom and Smart Communications to resolve the situation, which could deal a heavy blow to Samsung’s finances. It is estimated that axing the Note 7 could cost Samsung a whopping $17 billion in lost sales.

[irp posts=”6848″ name=”All burned out: Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 is done for”]

The full toll of its recall and eventual discontinuation may not be known for some time, though some analysts fear that we may have seen the last of the Note series. After what we’ve seen the past several weeks, we wouldn’t be surprised if Samsung decides to drop the Note brand for good.

Samsung Philippines told customers to contact the store where they bought their Note 7, then exchange it for a Galaxy S7 or S7 edge (the price difference will be refunded). They could also ask for a full refund, the company said. Those who got their device through a carrier, on the other hand, were asked to head to the carrier’s store where the phone was purchased or call its hotline.

[irp posts=”1319″ name=”Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 Edge Hands On – Better than eyes can see”]

Globe had earlier issued a press statement, saying it would no longer issue replacement units, and that it would cease all further sales of the Note 7. Further, it vowed to get in touch with customers within the next four days to “personally discuss replacement options.” Those options include, but are not limited to, the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, we’re told.

We’ve also reached to Smart to confirm the specifics of their recall process. Expect an update once we hear more information.

Oh, and you should definitely take Samsung’s plea seriously. No gadget is worth the risk of an injury or worse.

News

Samsung, BTS will launch a custom Galaxy S20

Coming next month

Published

on

Celebrity endorsements are part and parcel of the smartphone lifecycle. Most companies have constantly leveraged local talent to promote their products. However, a lucky few have found more internationally known celebrities to brandish new devices. Amidst this ubiquitous strategy, Samsung and LG have a distinct advantage: a gallery of Korean idol groups right at their doorstep. For example, Samsung has already created BLACKPINK-themed Galaxy smartphones last year.

Recently, Samsung recruited BTS for this year’s Galaxy S20 series. At the time, the partnership was just for brand ambassadorship, creating promos with the “Captured #withGalaxy S20 Series.” Now, Samsung and BTS are taking it a step further.

In the last few days, Samsung’s Twitter account teased BTS-themed promos with a single date: July 9. The promos are very likely hinting at a BTS-themed device coming next month.

Thanks to Max Weinbach, we finally have a clearer idea of what the upcoming device is. Sent by one of his sources, the upcoming device is a Galaxy S20 variant in vibrant Mirror Purple, marking the BTS theme. Additionally, Samsung is also launching BTS-themed Galaxy Buds+ in the same Mirror Purple color. Both devices will come in custom BTS packaging.

At least for the phone, there isn’t any change internally. It’s still the same Galaxy S20 series. At the very least, the custom variant will arrive in the base Galaxy S20 model.

As the leak confirms, the upcoming device will launch on July 9 in South Korea. Pre-orders will start soon. However, there is no word yet whether the device will come to other countries.

SEE ALSO: Samsung Galaxy Fold 2 might now be in mass production

Continue Reading

News

CES 2021 will still push through with an in-person event

Will implement a lot of safety measures

Published

on

Image source: CES

So far, CES 2020 is the only massive tech trade show to escape the ongoing coronavirus pandemic unscathed. Soon after the first show of the year, other similar events — like MWC 2020 — started dropping out for fear of spreading the virus further. Some migrated to online avenues. Some are still pushing through but with severely limited attendance.

With more than half a year to go before the next event, the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) has announced that CES 2021 will continue its years-long tradition of holding an in-person event for the trade showcase. Besides the in-person event, CES 2021 will also branch out into more digital spaces, allowing more livestreaming to broadcast the latest technologies for a wider reach. Though the announcement is only making the rounds now (via The Verge), the CTA has already made and publicized the decision on May 7 through the convention’s website.

This is, of course, a huge deal for the public events industry all over the world. All eyes are on CES 2021 as a safety barometer for the future of public spaces. Though some events are still continuing as normal this year, CES 2021 will likely usher in a new era with new health tools, the “new normal,” and, hopefully, a cure. Who knows what will happen at that point in time?

CES 2021 will still implement public health measure to limit the spread of disease during the show. The CTA is already pondering on various methods like social distancing, temperature scans, mask wearing, contactless payments, and sanitization stations.

Amidst all the potential safety measures in place, we’re seeing the “new normal” in action. For sure, CES 2021 will showcase huge breakthroughs in the tech industry, as it did this year. The annual event will take place from January 6 to 9 next year.

SEE ALSO: IFA 2020 to adopt an ‘innovative’ form of conferencing

Continue Reading

News

PLDT Home extends Speedboost and Double Data offers

Until June 30

Published

on

When people were forced to stay at and work from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic, PLDT stepped in to make sure Internet access was sufficient (debatable, we know). The speedboost they promised for the duration of the lockdown has now been extended.

The nationwide speedboost supposedly gave everyone a minimum of 25 Mbps. If you felt this boost, congratulations! You get to experience it for a little while longer.

If you’d rather go prepaid that options is on offer as well. You can get the PLDT Home Wifi Prepaid at just PhP 995 which comes with free 10GB worth of data valid for seven days and enjoy twice more data for all sites and apps.

If that doesn’t quite cut it for you there are other PLDT Home Wifi Prepaid options:

  • FamLoad package: FamLoad 199 now has 24GB of data for seven days
  • FamLoad 599 comes with 80GB of data for 15 days
  • FamLoad 999 has 130GB of data for 30 days
  • FamLoad 1499 gives you a whopping 200GB of data for 30 days.

To find out more, you can always visit the PLDT Website. Just cross your fingers that it never gets hacked like their Twitter account.

Continue Reading

Trending