News

Apple will not change its design next year, report says

Will keep the notch until 2019

Published

on

For the longest time, the smartphone market has been defined by technology’s ten-year old rule. Typified by Apple and Samsung, companies initially launch revolutionary phone designs, followed by incremental upgrades for the next year. For example, the Galaxy S8 and S9 have similar designs; the iPhone X, XR, XS, and XS Max have near-identical looks. Both Samsung and Apple have two-year cycles. It’s a time-honored tradition.

Now, the rule is finally winding down. According to Nomura Securities Analyst Anne Lee, Apple will not follow that trend next year. Instead, the 2019 iPhones will “likely have the same form factors… as the 2H18 iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max, with some added AR-related features.”

Last year, Apple introduced the polarizing iPhone X form factor. Among others, the design standard popularized the camera notch. Since then, Android-reliant companies have also adopted the design, resulting in a lot of wacky iterations. If Lee’s report is true, the notch still has one year left in its tank. “We think 2019 could be the last year the iPhone uses the iPhone X design architecture,” she said.

Potentially, the move coincides with the company’s strides to adopt 5G technology, which will make its Apple debut in 2020. With that, Apple will likely debut a new design after a working 5G prototype.

Of course, Apple’s defensive approach also hints at the company’s struggles this past year. Notably, the company has been consistently disappointed by its sales columns this year. Apple has even decided to withhold its sales figures for upcoming quarters. On global distribution charts, Huawei has already overtaken Apple for the number two spot.

With the new report, Apple is noticeably doubling down on riskier strategies for the upcoming year. The company already expects to sell fewer units in 2019. On paper, Apple looks like it’s on a downward spiral.

SEE ALSO: Apple iPad Pro (2018) Review: Not just a laptop replacement

News

Android 11 launch delayed due to US protests

#BlackLivesMatter

Published

on

Image source: Android Developers / YouTube

Coronavirus-related delays are commonplace in this newfound era. The global health crisis has forced various companies from various industries to postpone their much-anticipated annual events. So far, we’ve seen event cancellations, launch delays, and digital migrations. Today, another anticipated launch has been postponed. However, for perhaps the first time in a while, the delay isn’t canceled due to the ongoing pandemic.

In an official tweet from Android’s Twitter account, Google announced the postponement of Android 11’s unveiling. Previously, the company earmarked June 3 as the upcoming operating system’s debut. The launch would have introduced the system to developers for optimization with their apps before a more public release. That will now have to wait.

“We are postponing the June 3rd event and beta release,” Google said. “Now is not the time to celebrate.” Instead, the company will release more details “soon.”

Besides the ongoing pandemic, the United States is now buckling under a lot of civil uprising across several states. The protests are calling for justice for the brutal death of George Floyd, an African American man, under the custody of Derek Chauvin, a white police officer. In less than a week, a revolutionary spirit rushed through the entire country, resurrecting the #BlackLivesMatter movement from very recent memory. Since then, several companies and personalities have used their respective platforms and audiences to spread awareness, goodwill, and justice towards the issue.

Besides Android 11, Google has also quietly delayed the launch of the Pixel 4a for coronavirus-related reasons, according to previous reports.

SEE ALSO: Apple and Google release contact tracing software all over the world

Continue Reading

News

OnePlus accidentally disables OnePlus 8 Pro’s x-ray camera worldwide

Update rolling out in India

Published

on

Weeks ago, OnePlus confirmed a brewing privacy controversy surrounding the recently released OnePlus 8 Pro. Apparently, the premium smartphone’s Photochrom filter can penetrate through thin material like plastic or clothing. Despite OnePlus’s assurances to the contrary, several reviewers have demonstrated the feature’s strong capabilities. As a result, OnePlus has promised to disable the feature temporarily before working on a more permanent solution.

Surprisingly, after all the hullaballoo, OnePlus is disabling the feature only in Chinese smartphones. Presumably, the invasive feature is a more serious threat in China, compared to other nations. However, a recent update reveals a change of mind. Further, a followup hints at conflicting decisions inside OnePlus.

In India, OnePlus 8 Pro users are receiving new OTA updates — Oxygen OS 10.5.9.IN11, 10.5.9.IN11AA, and 10.5.9.IN11DA — that carries only one item in the patch notes, as posted in the OnePlus forums. As you might expect by now, the exactly similar patches remove the Photochrom filter temporarily “for adjustment.” In this case, “temporarily” is hugely short-term. The update promises the feature’s return “around June.”

However, after users spotted the update, OnePlus has quickly issued a statement, saying that the updates rolled out accidentally. Apparently, the company did not intend to disable the feature for non-Chinese models. As such, an upcoming OTA update will re-enable the feature.

Naturally, if you don’t live in India or China, your OnePlus 8 Pro still has the controversial Photochrom filter. However, OnePlus’s lingering uncertainty in India marks similar uncertainty in handling the privacy controversy.

SEE ALSO: OnePlus 8 Pro review: Best of the best

Continue Reading

Apps

Twitter adds draft, schedule tweets on the web

Sending tweets just got more flexible

Published

on

Photo by Yucel Moran on Unsplash

Sending tweets just got more flexible. Twitter is now adding an option for users to draft a tweet which they can continue later. Plus, there is now an option to schedule when a tweet should be posted.

Users don’t have to do anything to take advantage of these new features. Twitter has enabled these features just recently to everyone after experimenting with them in November.

For users who want to draft a tweet, they simply have to click “X” on the tweet window. A prompt to save the tweet will appear. Clicking “Save” will send the tweet to the “Unsent Tweet” where users can see a list of their drafted tweets.

It is important to note that drafted tweets will sync only on the web version of Twitter. There’s no option yet to see web version drafted tweets on the mobile app.

Meanwhile, those who wanted to schedule their tweets can do so by clicking on the new calendar icon on the bottom left of the tweet window. By doing so, a schedule option will appear, and users can change the date and time of the tweet’s post schedule.

Twitter Support prepared a little video for those who prefer to watch these new features in action:

These new features are surely a welcome addition to the platform. Perhaps, users who wanted to clarify their thoughts first before tweeting should greatly benefit from this feature. Now, if only Twitter would give its users an option to edit tweets. It’s still a pipe dream, but with new changes being introduced to the platform, it’s not impossible.

Source: The Verge

Continue Reading

Trending