News

OPPO Reno3 series: Price and availability in the Philippines

Expensive or just right?

Published

on

“Be more creative in today’s digital landscape.” This is the message that OPPO hopes to tell Filipinos as they launch the OPPO Reno3 and OPPO Reno3 Pro in the Philippines.

Both phones sport a 6.4-inch displays and are powered by MediaTek processors. They also share the same battery capacity at 4025mAh with support for VOOC Flash Charge 3.0.

The OPPO Reno3 is powered by the MediaTek Helio P90 SoC with 8GB of RAM and up to 128GB of internal storage. It sports a 44MP punch-hole selfie camera.

Coming to the back of the phone, it has a four-camera setup: 48MP main shooter, an 8MP ultra-wide angle lens, a 13MP telephoto lens, and a 2MP monochrome sensor. The camera comes with the OPPO Reno’s signature 5X hybrid zoom — It’s 2X optical and the rest is digital.

Meanwhile, the Reno3 Pro has MediaTek Helio P95 inside along with 8GB of RAM and up to 256GB of internal storage. On the front it has a dual punch-hole camera. One 44MP main shooter and a 2MP depth sensor.

On the back, the Reno3 Pro sports a 64-megapixel primary lens, a 13-megapixel telephoto lens, a 2-megapixel mono lens, and an 8-megapixel wide-angle lens. OPPO says it can produce images of up to 108-megapixel and allows up to 20x digital zoom.

Pricing and availability

The Reno3 will retail for PhP 18,990 and will be available in Midnight Black, Sky White, Auroral Blue, while the Reno3 Pro will sell for PhP 28,990 and will come in Midnight Black and Auroral Blue. The Reno3 series is officially available in the Philippines through OPPO concept stores nationwide, e-commerce partners and Smart via postpaid plans

For Smart, the Reno3 will be available at Smart Signature Plan 999 with a PhP 3,100 cash-out while Reno3 Pro will be available at Smart Signature Plan 1,699 with a PhP3,000 cash-out.

Both will come with a free Rockspace EB60 Bluetooth Earbuds. The Reno3 will also be available on Shopee starting April 30, 2020 and on Lazada starting May 13, 2020.

Enterprise

China won’t allow US to steal TikTok

Published

on

TikTok’s fate is in the hands of two dueling nations: China and the US. While TikTok is currently a Chinese company, the US government wants to either acquire the platform or kick it out of America entirely. This past weekend, Trump announced plans to ban the platform unless an acquisition deal is concluded by September 15. For its part, China has finally responded to the ongoing issue. According to state media, China won’t allow US to steal TikTok.

Reported by Reuters, the state-run China Daily made the comments against the American plan. “China will by no means accept the ‘theft’ of a Chinese technology company, and it has plenty of ways to respond if the administration carries out its planned smash and grab,” the report said.

Another state-run publication has likewise compared the acquisition plan to an “open robbery,” turning American into a “rogue country.”

Currently, Microsoft is discussing an acquisition of the popular video-sharing platform. By the end of Sunday, Trump seemingly stamped his approval on the plan, giving TikTok 45 days for a deal. On the other hand, TikTok is deliberating a separate move: transferring its headquarters to the UK, thereby upending Trump’s and Microsoft’s plans.

None of the involved parties have agreed to a conclusion so far. The next 40 or so days will prove critical for TikTok, the US, and China. In any case, China is finally getting in on the decision, just as it did for Huawei.

SEE ALSO: TikTok owner accuses Facebook of stealing and smearing

Continue Reading

India

Redmi 9 Prime launches with quad-cameras and Helio G80

Realme should be worried

Published

on

After a brief sabbatical, Xiaomi is back with its blitzkrieg strategy. The company has gradually announced the Redmi 9 series in India, covering every possible price segment. Going after the affordable segment, it has now launched the Redmi 9 Prime and it’ll go up against the Realme 5i and Narzo 10A.

At first glance, the design of the phone looks identical to the POCO X2. However, it has substantial changes including a water-drop notch, rounded edges, and a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner. The back has a gradient color with a ripple texture that adds to the premium feel.

On the front is a 6.5-inch Full HD+ display with Gorilla Glass 3 protection and TÜV Rheinland low blue light certification. Powering the phone is a MediaTek Helio G80 processor with 4GB RAM. Storage is expandable via a microSD card.

The rear sports a quad-camera setup consisting of a 13-megapixel primary sensor, an 8-megapixel wide-angle lens, a 5-megapixel macro sensor, and a 2-megapixel depth sensor. For selfies, an 8-megapixel camera is located on the front.

Backing these internals is a 5020mAh battery that supports 18W fast charging. Although, the in-box charger is rated for 10W only. In line with all other Redmi phones, it ships with MIUI 11 out-of-the-box and supports face unlock.

The Redmi 9 Prime has two configurations available. The 4GB+64GB option costs INR 9,999 and the 4GB+128GB variant costs INR 11,999. The phone shall be available from August 17 via Amazon, Mi.com, Mi Stores, and other offline partners. Color options include Space Blue, Mint Green, Matte Black, and Sunrise Flare.

Continue Reading

News

Grab suspends GrabCar as Manila tightens quarantine

Other Grab services remain operational

Published

on

Grab is suspending its GrabCar ride-hailing operations in Metro Manila again. This comes after the government announced stricter quarantine measures to curb COVID-19 cases.

GrabCar will stop all ride-hailing operations by August 4 at exactly 12 midnight. The cessation is only temporary as the government places the whole Metro Manila under a modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).  Under the MECQ, stricter transport measures will take effect. One of those measures include a halt to all public transportation and ride-hailing services.

Other Grab services will remain operational

Other services from Grab will remain operational throughout the whole MECQ period. Individuals can have their meals or groceries delivered from 6am to 12mn through the GrabFood and GrabMart service. For parcel and package deliveries, GrabExpress is ready to serve customers 24/7.

GrabPay will also remain, enabling safe and quick cashless transactions on supported establishment and services.

Support for driver partners

The company is already seeking ways to support its drivers as they suspend ride-hailing operations in the metro. They are now providing training to help them transition to the delivery fleet service. Other riders with the appropriate training will have the chance to ferry medical frontliners through the company’s partnership with select hospitals.

Riders under Grab’s loan program can rest easy with their deadlines as the company is already working on extending payment holiday with its payment partners.

The company also remains committed to its GrabProtect program. It will keep on providing free tests for riders, partners, and passengers to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the whole community.

This is not the first time that Grab suspended operations in the country. Last March, the company suspended its operations as the whole Luzon went into enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). After the government lifted the ECQ last May, Grab resumed operations with extra precautions. Now, it is suspending operations once again as Metro Manila braces for another stricter quarantine measures.

Continue Reading

Trending