Enterprise

US is calling Huawei, ZTE a national security threat

The odds aren’t in China’s favor

Published

on

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) designated Huawei and ZTE as a national security threat. This doesn’t come as a surprise since the US has been trying to sideline the two Chinese telecom equipment companies for months.

However, with the new designation comes a flood of bad news for the two companies. The action means carriers won’t be able to use money from federal subsidies to buy or maintain equipment from the two companies. While the US has actively tried to reduce its dependence on Huawei or ZTE gear, the latest announcement is an indication of escalation.

FCC Commissioner Geoffrey Starks said on Tuesday that “untrustworthy equipment” continues to remain a part of US telecom infrastructure. He asked Congress to allocate funding to replace the remaining equipment.

Three state-controlled telecom operators — China Telecom Americas, China Unicom Americas, Pacific Networks Corp, are also on the grinding block. FCC is considering termination of its authorization to operate.

Huawei is combatting issues on multiple fronts at the moment. The US has lobbied allied countries to avoid Huawei or ZTE technology. Furthermore, Huawei is barred from transacting with American counterparts like Google. Its consumer smartphone division has come to a startling halt since the phones can’t run the full capabilities of Android via Google Mobile Services.

ZTE too has been out of luck. In 2018, US President Donald Trump had said that of the two vendors, ZTE could continue trading after paying a fine of US$ 1.3 billion, and providing “high-level security guarantees.” However, the latest designation again puts the company in an impossible spot.

Enterprise

Nintendo faces allegations of sexual misconduct

Company is investigating

Published

on

Working at Nintendo must be a dream for every child from the 90s. However, besides the naturally steep point of entry for prospective workers in gaming, everyone has to reckon with a pervasive problem plaguing the industry: It’s just not inclusive. Like other developers, Nintendo is investigating a flurry of sexual misconduct allegations coming to light recently.

A ‘frat house’

Earlier this week, Kotaku brought a series of cases to light straight from past Nintendo of America employees. One tester, whom the report names as Hannah, reveals a litany of inappropriate sexually charged comments. While some are focused externally, like discussing which Pokémon is the best to have sex with, some comments are more targeted, like saying that it’s “a shame” that Hannah is a lesbian.

Unfortunately, the problems for women in the company only start there. Other female workers have reported cases of stalking and unwanted sexual advances, including being asked what color their panties were during company events. One called the environment a “frat house” filled with men. Pay is likewise unequal, favoring more compensation towards men than women.

Reporting inappropriate conduct isn’t welcome, either. Workers have said that they were further mistreated after they spoke to higher-ups about their issues. Perpetrators have also threatened to have their victims fired if the latter reported it. Others have also been called “overly sensitive” if they said anything against the company.

Now, Nintendo of America isn’t the only one at fault. The company outsources a chunk of its workers, including the ones reporting the issues, from a contracting company called Aerotek, which has rebranded into Aston Carter. Nintendo and Carter are currently being investigated by the National Labor Relations Board for harassment.

What they’re doing

For their part, Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser (also via Kotaku) has stated that the company is internally investigating the claims. Previous, Nintendo has come out in support for those who reported the same type of misconduct in other companies like Activision Blizzard and Ubisoft. The entire industry is now in a reckoning.

SEE ALSO: Nintendo just bought its own animation studio

Continue Reading

Enterprise

South Korea investigating Apple and Google for app payments

In hot water

Published

on

Both Apple and Google are endlessly circulating in a maelstrom of controversy surrounding their respective app stores. Last year, app developers went up against the two giants for enforcing unfair payment systems against smaller developers. Since then, the issue has raged on. Now, South Korea is going after the two companies for the same problem.

As reported by Reuters, South Korean authorities, specifically the Korea Communications Commission, have decided to investigate Apple and Google for reportedly forcing developers into adopting payment systems inside App Store and Play Store.

Unfortunately, the report does not indicate what the companies exactly did to warrant an investigation. While one can easily cast it off as forcing the system unto others, it can also encompass a failure to meet the requirements on time. Google, for example, has stated that it has (and is still willing to) cooperate with authorities to resolve the issue.

Apple, on the other hand, has not commented on the issue.

Back in 2020, Fortnite, one of the most controversial instances of the issue, was expelled from the App Store and the Play Store for going against the margins demanded by Apple and Google. Since then, other apps, like Tinder, have also seesawed their way in and out of the issue.

SEE ALSO: Google is potentially banning Tinder from Play Store

Continue Reading

Enterprise

Honor returns to the Philippines!

The former sub-brand is making its comeback as an independent, iconic brand

Published

on

Huawei’s former sub-brand, Honor, returns to the Philippine market. The global smartphone brand has partnered with Iridium Philippines to launch the brand and cater to the different needs of Filipino consumers.

Daniel Wang, Director of Channel Management Department of Honor Device Com., Ltd., inked a deal with Ricky Sy, President of Honor Philippines/Iridium Technologies in a contract-signing event. The ceremony marked the comeback of the technology brand, making Honor products available in the Philippines through its local partner.

On becoming an iconic brand across the globe

Honor has invested in its research and development in the past year to provide high-quality products to its consumers. The company’s main goal is to come up with innovative products, thus, it continued to develop strategic partnerships with different supply chain manufacturers.

Currently, Honor is working with Intel, AMD, MediaTek, Microsoft, and Qualcomm to provide consumers with products that are technologically advanced.

Honor is presently available in more than 100 markets across the globe. The company aims to expand in the Philippines, one of its key markets in Asia, aiming to update its portfolio to capture the high-end and general market with PC, wearables, and more.

Its biggest edge, as compared to its former parent brand, is having Google Mobile Services across its devices.

“As HONOR returns to the Philippines, we are confident that the brand will be well received by Filipino consumers. The brand’s re-entrance would also mean that HONOR products will soon become more accessible to Filipinos,” said Ricky Sy, President of HONOR Philippines.

Continue Reading

Trending