News

New Android malware called xHelper is not removable

Here’s why you should take security updates seriously

Published

on

LG G5 front

A new Android malware package has been discovered and researchers claim it’s impossible to kill it. More than 55,000 Android devices worldwide have been infected and Igor Golovin from Kasperksy Labs says it just won’t die.

Known as xHelper, the malware has been spreading mainly in Russia, Europe, and Southwest Asia. So far, it has infected devices running on Android v6 or v7. Even though your first thought would be that they’re years old and outdated when the world has reached Android 10, it’s worth noting that nearly 15 percent of devices worldwide still run on that system.

The malware called xHelper downloads a few more companion files after an intrusion, including one known as Triada. Triada provides xHelper with root access of the device, basically making it impossible to remove.

“The main feature of xHelper is entrenchment,” Igor explained. “Once it gets into the phone, it somehow remains there even after the user deletes it and restores the factory settings.”

From Kaspersky Labs

The malware has been spreading via unofficial app stores. This is the exact reason why Google has always stressed that you don’t install external packages and rely on its secure Play Store. It even has a service called “Play Protect” that ensures all apps listed on the marketplace are safe.

The malware disguises itself as a legit device “cleaning” app. That’s why these are also called Trojan Horse — a misleading app that hides its real motive behind a curtain of legitimacy.

Further, Igor said, “Malicious files are stored sequentially in the app’s data folder, which other programs do not have access to.” This conceals its presence and the malware can continue using tools that are already known to cybersecurity experts but are still not able to remove it.

This is also the primary reason why Google regularly pushes out monthly security updates to all Android phones. They contain patches for discovered vulnerabilities. This also explains why continuous software updates are crucial for online safety.

News

Samsung might launch the Galaxy S26 FE next week

A new event is hinting at the smartphone’s debut.

Published

on

It wasn’t too long ago when Samsung launched the new Galaxy Fold and Flip series. Historically, the brand is done for the year after two major Galaxy Unpacked events. However, if you’re still hankering for a few more morsels of Galaxy devices, Samsung is hosting another event next week, which might mean the debut of the Galaxy S26 FE.

This week, Samsung has just released an official invite for a Galaxy Event on August 27. The invite itself looks like a tray with two glasses of matcha and a coaster in between them. It’s visually similar to a modest camera setup, hinting at a new smartphone coming during the event.

Because Samsung has already filled its usual quota of flagships and foldables, it’s highly likely that the event is meant for the Galaxy S26 FE. The Galaxy FE series is Samsung’s way of extending the life cycle of the current generation of Galaxy phones, while also catering to another segment of the market.

As for what the Galaxy S26 FE might hold, it looks like AI might be a prime focus. Samsung confirms that the invite graphic has AI-generated images. The text accompanying the graphic also indicates that AI will be a part of the event.

It’s only a week left before the August 27 event, so we’ll get to know more about everything soon.

SEE ALSO: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold8 Review

Continue Reading

Gaming

Leaked Grand Theft Auto VI footage surfaces online

The leakers says they are protesting the game’s lack of a physical release.

Published

on

We’re nearing the dreaded date that all game publishers are rightfully fearing: the launch of Grand Theft Auto VI. Since we’re so near, it’s only right that Rockstar Games starts teasing their upcoming game, which is officially happening later this month via a special presentation on Netflix. However, ahead of that highly anticipated date, a leaker has apparently leaked the footage in protest of the game’s lack of a physical release.

Let’s parse that out piecemeal. First up, Rockstar Games is scheduled to release an extended first look at Grand Theft Auto VI through Netflix on August 27. If you don’t have the platform, the publisher will release the same footage on more public outlets six hours later. The footage will represent our biggest peek at the game after months of relative silence.

Secondly, a leaker has released the said footage ahead of time. Now, this isn’t the first time that a major leak spoiled details about the game. Previously, a leak was the first to reveal that the sixth entry in the series is getting two playable protagonists.

Third, the why: The leaker says that they will continue to reveal more information about the game to protest the game’s lack of a physical release. Like new PlayStation games next year, Rockstar Games does not plan to release a disc version of the game.

The footage itself

And, finally, the leak itself. Rockstar Games is currently issuing DMCA notices against anyone posting the leaked footage. It lends credence to the authenticity of the footage but also ensures that we can’t post the leaks themselves.

If anything, there are two reportedly legitimate clips, while others were seemingly generated with AI. The first clip has Jason, one of the two protagonists, playing basketball in his hideout, which gives him a stat boost. The clip confirms the return of minigames you can play in between missions.

The second clip sees Jason fight with a truck driver after a traffic incident. He kills the driver with a wrench, which earns him a two-star wanted level and summons a police chase as the series often does.

There’s not much to glean from these two short clips. In fact, it’s hard to say whether this footage represents the final release or something left over from previous leaks. Thankfully, Rockstar Games is releasing the official extended look soon on August 27.

After that, Grand Theft Auto VI launches on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S on November 19.

Continue Reading

Accessories

Apple is working on AirPods with built-in cameras

References to the wearable were spotted inside a new macOS beta.

Published

on

The launch of operating system betas is a cause of celebration for those digging into what’s next for a brand. No other company does that better than Apple. Today, Apple released a new release candidate for macOS Tahoe 26.7. As expected, the release has a treasure trove of references to unreleased devices, including a new type of AirPods with built-in cameras.

Let’s get the obvious out of the way first. The references include a slew of unreleased iPads, Macs, and HomePods. Since these devices are already expected to come out, they’re hardly worth nothing. This includes the iPhone 18 series. If anything, the references confirm the iPhone Ultra, the rumored entry into the foldable market, but that’s it.

Now, the more interesting inclusion is a pair of AirPods with cameras. Despite the controversies surrounding cameras on smart glasses, Apple is reportedly building audio-based wearables with cameras themselves.

In a short demo video (also obtained from the macOS beta via MacRumors), the AirPods can apparently “save” things that it sees, including a book you might want to search for later. In that way, the built-in camera acts more like a voice assistant, rather than a recording device.

Though the references don’t confirm a launch date, it’s likely that the camera-based AirPods will come out sometime soon. After all, why would a blatant reference be inside a publicly available beta?

SEE ALSO: The iPhone 18 might sell out for an unexpected reason

Continue Reading

Trending