Filipinos have been praying to have a third major telco that’ll battle Globe and Smart, and they might finally get an answer. The Philippine government might name the third telco next month, according to a Philippine Cabinet official.
“On November 7, we will have a provisional new major player, barring any decision from the court,” Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) acting Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr. said during a Senate committee hearing on the search for the third telco that’ll operate in the Philippines.
The Acting Secretary further said that Filipinos must give the new telco player about six months to put up their own infrastructure. He also added that as early as mid-2019, the winning telco may even have initial subscribers.
If the winning telco fails to do so, the second winning bidder will automatically take its place.
Eight companies are eyeing to be the Philippine’s next telco. The list includes five local groups and three foreign. Each one bought bidding documents worth PhP 1 million earlier this month.
The bidders are also required to declare that they’ll not be a threat to national security amid the data breaches worldwide.
The winner will be selected using automated technology which will determine the group’s level of commitment in terms of speed and coverage.
There are still some issues that need to be addressed before anything becomes final, though, including the construction and use of a common cell tower. The senate hearing will continue to tackle related issues.
Via: CNN Philippines
Huawei pledges $2 billion to secure cybersecurity of hardware
It starts in Britain for now
Throughout the past few weeks, Sinophobia has reached an all-time high. Various countries have started banning Chinese telecommunications companies from taking over their technology market. Huawei and ZTE have faced tremendous adversity while expanding their 5G operations. Of note, the US, the UK, and Australia have stopped Huawei’s 5G plans before they could start.
It was only a matter of time before Huawei responds. Now, the company has finally promised to solve these crucial cybersecurity issues. In Britain, Huawei has met with government officials regarding their ban. Like the rest of the Western world, Britain criticized Huawei’s technology as potential backdoors for Chinese espionage.
Both parties have agreed to a compromise. To alleviate Britain’s fears, Huawei will pledge US$ 2 billion for cybersecurity. The company will then attempt to solve whatever Britain found in cybersecurity investigations.
While the United Kingdom is more forgiving, other countries are still very wary. After the initial lineup of banning countries, Japan has joined the conversation. The country is working to ban both Huawei and ZTE from 5G development as well. With that, Japan will be the first Asian country to ban both companies. Western fears are now invading the East.
At the other end of the world, Huawei is also facing another crisis. The company’s chief finance officer, Meng Wanzhou, was recently arrested for allegedly violating embargo regulations. According to Huawei, their retaliation plans in Britain were made before the arrest. Thus, the arrest is another separate battle that awaits the company after issues of cybersecurity.
Huawei is in a world of pain. Despite offering amazing products, the company can’t find any traction in hardware development. Geopolitical fears have and will continue to bog down the company throughout the rise of 5G networking.
UK’s largest telco removes all Huawei equipment from core 4G network
The Chinese company continues to take hits
Huawei smartphones are selling like hotcakes and are well-received by consumers and reviewers alike, although things are not looking good on the enterprise side. Earlier this year, the US started to make things hard for the Chinese company by labeling them as a threat. More countries have considered the warning, and everything has gone haywire ever since.
The latest related news is from the United Kingdom. The region’s largest mobile provider BT Group Plc plans to remove Huawei’s technologies and equipment from their core 4G network, according to a Financial Times report.
But, this doesn’t mean Huawei will be 100 percent wiped from the network. The report mentioned that BT will continue to use Huawei’s kit in what they consider to be benign parts of the network.
The telco’s move comes after the head of MI6 foreign intelligence service singled out the Chinese company as a potential security risk because of its alleged close ties with the Chinese government, something both parties deny.
BT said they have been in the process of removing Huawei equipment from instrumental parts of their 3G and 4G networks since 2016.
Furthermore, BT has decided to not include Huawei’s services in building the next-generation 5G network.
Huawei executive arrested in Canada, faces charges in US
Exec is daughter of Huawei founder
After much ado on the US front, Huawei’s multi-chapter drama finally reached foreign soil. Recently, more countries are contemplating a ban on the company’s hardware. Despite celebrating a multitude of new launches, Huawei’s distribution is facing a potential crisis.
With all the hullaballoo, one can forget how this all started. About a year ago, the company was caught illegally trading with Iran. The United States government quickly lambasted them for breaking the law. Over the past year, the initial controversy morphed into distrust over China’s government. Now, it’s come full circle.
Last week, Canadian authorities have arrested Huawei’s chief financial officer, Wanzhou Meng. The Huawei official was in the country only briefly, switching flights at an airport in Vancouver. During this brief time, US officials requested Canada for Meng’s arrest.
According to The Globe and Mail, Meng was arrested for evading the States’ current embargo against Iran. Huawei’s past comes back to bite the company. Meng is expected to be extradited in New York where she will face the US judiciary system.
Of note, Meng is the daughter of Huawei’s founder, Ren Zhengfei. In turn, Zhengfei is a known member of the Communist Party.
The arrest comes at a very interesting time. Currently, Huawei is in the middle of a global expansion in preparation for the rise of 5G networks. Going against this, other countries are vehemently preventing China from taking over the next generation of networking.
Further, President Trump was recently considering increased tariffs for Chinese products. Sinophobia is at an all-time high.
In response, Huawei has asked to limit the arrest’s public details. Likewise, the Chinese embassy in Canada has asked for Meng’s release, saying that she didn’t break any Canadian or US laws. Canada’s steadfast actions, however, clearly places the country behind the US in the feud.
Lenovo Yoga C930 Review: It could have been the best
It's just missing one thing...
DJI Mavic 2 Pro Review: 1 month in
Not a perfect drone, but...
Apple iPad Pro (2018) Review: Not just a laptop replacement
It can be so much more
Samsung is collaborating with a Supreme rip-off
Samsung Galaxy A8s debuts with Infinity-O display
9 live action adaptations to watch right now
Honor 8X vs Xiaomi Mi A2: Head-to-head comparison
Exercising with the Fitbit Charge 3: Workouts you can do while traveling
Best Budget Smartphones in the Philippines below P10,000
Best Midrange Smartphones in the Philippines from P10,000 to P20,000
Best Midrange Smartphones from $200 to $400
Best Upper-Midrange Smartphones in the Philippines from P20,000 to P30,000
Best Premium Smartphones in the Philippines above P30,000
Lifestyle1 week ago
Zepeto lets you create a 3D character version of yourself
Camera Shootouts2 weeks ago
Huawei Mate 20 Pro vs Google Pixel 3: Night mode shootout
Reviews1 week ago
Apple iPhone XR review: By Android users
Enterprise6 days ago
Converge introduces faster fiber plans starting at 35Mbps
News1 week ago
Android 9 Pie starts seeding to Huawei P20 series in China
News1 week ago
Samsung caught tweeting with an iPhone
News2 weeks ago
LG patents a smartphone equipped with 16 cameras and complex software
Enterprise2 weeks ago
China caught stealing Samsung’s screen technology