News

Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra gets a mediocre score on DxOMark

The S20 Ultra scored better

Published

on

Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra

The DxOMark team tested the Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra’s cameras, and the results are lukewarm. The flagship phone scored an average of 121 points, giving it the tenth spot on the leaderboard.

The Note20 Ultra is Samsung’s best-in-class offering so far, and the company has built a solid reputation for delivering excellent results over a period of ten years. However, this year’s flagship couldn’t match the competition.

There’s no doubt that the phone is equipped with a very capable sensor array. But the results are underwhelming with inconsistent zoom, higher noise in low-light shots, and unreliable autofocus.

However, DxOMark has noted that the pictures have high saturation, making them vibrant. The wide-angle performance is excellent and portrait shots are also very accurate. The telephoto lens has some loss of detail beyond 4x zoom, while night shots were average with balanced exposure and color.

From DxOMark

The phone sports a 108-megapixel primary camera, a 12-megapixel telephoto lens, and a 12-megapixel wide-angle sensor. For the average Joe, the phone won’t disappoint. But, when stacked against other flagships, the Note20 Ultra loses its edge.

Coming to video, the phone does a great job with exposure, color, stabilization, and fast autofocus. On the flipside, texture and noise levels aren’t accurate enough and lose the most points. The phone can record the best video in 4K at 30fps.

Surprisingly, the S20 Ultra scored 122, one point more than the Note20 Ultra, despite being an older phone. Currently, the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra leads the charts with an aggregate score of 130, followed by Huawei P40 Pro at 128 and Vivo X50 Pro+ at 127.

Gaming

Leaked Grand Theft Auto VI footage surfaces online

The leakers says they are protesting the game’s lack of a physical release.

Published

on

We’re nearing the dreaded date that all game publishers are rightfully fearing: the launch of Grand Theft Auto VI. Since we’re so near, it’s only right that Rockstar Games starts teasing their upcoming game, which is officially happening later this month via a special presentation on Netflix. However, ahead of that highly anticipated date, a leaker has apparently leaked the footage in protest of the game’s lack of a physical release.

Let’s parse that out piecemeal. First up, Rockstar Games is scheduled to release an extended first look at Grand Theft Auto VI through Netflix on August 27. If you don’t have the platform, the publisher will release the same footage on more public outlets six hours later. The footage will represent our biggest peek at the game after months of relative silence.

Secondly, a leaker has released the said footage ahead of time. Now, this isn’t the first time that a major leak spoiled details about the game. Previously, a leak was the first to reveal that the sixth entry in the series is getting two playable protagonists.

Third, the why: The leaker says that they will continue to reveal more information about the game to protest the game’s lack of a physical release. Like new PlayStation games next year, Rockstar Games does not plan to release a disc version of the game.

The footage itself

And, finally, the leak itself. Rockstar Games is currently issuing DMCA notices against anyone posting the leaked footage. It lends credence to the authenticity of the footage but also ensures that we can’t post the leaks themselves.

If anything, there are two reportedly legitimate clips, while others were seemingly generated with AI. The first clip has Jason, one of the two protagonists, playing basketball in his hideout, which gives him a stat boost. The clip confirms the return of minigames you can play in between missions.

The second clip sees Jason fight with a truck driver after a traffic incident. He kills the driver with a wrench, which earns him a two-star wanted level and summons a police chase as the series often does.

There’s not much to glean from these two short clips. In fact, it’s hard to say whether this footage represents the final release or something left over from previous leaks. Thankfully, Rockstar Games is releasing the official extended look soon on August 27.

After that, Grand Theft Auto VI launches on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S on November 19.

Continue Reading

Accessories

Apple is working on AirPods with built-in cameras

References to the wearable were spotted inside a new macOS beta.

Published

on

The launch of operating system betas is a cause of celebration for those digging into what’s next for a brand. No other company does that better than Apple. Today, Apple released a new release candidate for macOS Tahoe 26.7. As expected, the release has a treasure trove of references to unreleased devices, including a new type of AirPods with built-in cameras.

Let’s get the obvious out of the way first. The references include a slew of unreleased iPads, Macs, and HomePods. Since these devices are already expected to come out, they’re hardly worth nothing. This includes the iPhone 18 series. If anything, the references confirm the iPhone Ultra, the rumored entry into the foldable market, but that’s it.

Now, the more interesting inclusion is a pair of AirPods with cameras. Despite the controversies surrounding cameras on smart glasses, Apple is reportedly building audio-based wearables with cameras themselves.

In a short demo video (also obtained from the macOS beta via MacRumors), the AirPods can apparently “save” things that it sees, including a book you might want to search for later. In that way, the built-in camera acts more like a voice assistant, rather than a recording device.

Though the references don’t confirm a launch date, it’s likely that the camera-based AirPods will come out sometime soon. After all, why would a blatant reference be inside a publicly available beta?

SEE ALSO: The iPhone 18 might sell out for an unexpected reason

Continue Reading

News

Samsung might be working on an even wider foldable

The success of the Galaxy Z Fold8 is pushing Samsung to its next steps.

Published

on

The passport-sized Galaxy Z Fold8 might be one of the best ideas for a foldable ever. Hardly anyone thinks that Samsung’s latest foldable type was a misstep for the brand. Other companies are even rumored to bring out their own passport-sized foldable soon. Now, Samsung is reportedly going further in the same direction by working on an even wider foldable.

Compared to traditional book-style foldables, the Galaxy Z Fold8 has a more squarish shape when folded. Naturally, the phone’s unfolded state is more rectangular, allowing for more screen real estate for full-screen content. It feels much more immersive to watch movies and shows on the foldable.

Now, according to ETNews, Samsung is working on an even wider foldable, potentially for next year. Though sparse on more technical details, the report hints that the next iteration will focus on better video playback, which does indicate a better aspect ratio.

Though foldables have been under the spotlight for a while now, this year might be the moment that the segment reaches its maturity. A lot of brands today have worthy alternatives for foldables. Some are also working on passport-style ones. Apple, the last holdout among the big names of the industry, is rumored to launch its first foldable later this year. There is no better time to try a foldable than this year.

SEE ALSO: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold8 Review

Continue Reading

Trending