News

Philippines to become one of first to roll out 5G in 2019

Along with Japan and Australia

Published

on

The race to 5G connectivity is officially on, and to the joy of a striving nation, the Philippines is leading the pack.

News just broke during Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2018 that the Philippines will be among the first to roll out its 5G networks in 2019, along with Japan and Australia.

This marks a major milestone for the archipelago, which has been known for having less-than-stellar 4G results in recent tests. Breaking into 5G territory will give the Philippines a leg up with the next-generation technology.

“Next year, Australia, Japan, and the Philippines are going to be the first to launch 5G networks,” said Jan Stryjak, Lead Analyst at GSMA Intelligence, during a presentation at MWC Shanghai 2018.

What can we expect out of this level of wireless tech? Beyond the obvious speed boost, 5G is expected to have better security and connection reliability compared to older standards.

Globe Telecom already announced earlier in June that they’ll have 5G commercially available for homes by the second quarter of 2019 with the help of Huawei.

“We can bring internet to more homes by deploying 5G compared to a typical fiber optic rollout,” said Ernest Cu, Globe President and CEO, when talking about 5G’s advantages over wired fiber connections.

Smart Communications, on the other hand, have already begun testing 5G speeds in the country. Their latest results have shown speeds of up to a jaw-dropping 14.97Gbps on their 5G network. That’s nearly 2GB of data downloaded every second!

Smart plans to have its 5G network ready by 2020, but news of Globe accelerating its rollout could push this rival to speed up the process, as well.

This desire from both telcos to make 5G happen as soon as possible for the Philippines is music to consumers’ ears. Not only will this save the country from its dreadful internet woes, but it’ll also enable more homes to enter the Internet of Things sooner than expected.

News

Samsung Galaxy M51 price and availability in the Philippines

Another monster battery phone!

Published

on

Samsung’s new beast — the Galaxy M51 — is finally making its way to the Philippines. With an official listed page on the Samsung Philippines website, the arrival of this monster battery phone is imminent.

The Galaxy M51 prides itself with a massive 7000mAh battery that supports 25W fast charging. This new midrange phone sports a 6.67-inch Super AMOLED+ Infinity-O display. On its front, you can find an in-display fingerprint scanner and a punch-hole camera housing a 32-megapixel shooter.

It’s powered by an octa-core Snapdragon 730G processor, equipped with 8GB RAM and 128GB internal storage. For extra storage, it comes with a MicroSD slot up to 512GB.

Meanwhile, its rear features a quad-camera setup: a 64-megapixel primary sensor, a 12-megapixel ultra-wide-angle lens, a 5-megapixel depth sensor, and a 5-megapixel macro camera.

Regarding its ports, the Galaxy M51 uses a USB Type-C port and the well-loved 3.5mm audio jack. In line with all other Galaxy-branded phones, it’ll ship with OneUI out-of-the-box and Samsung Knox, Samsung’s multi-layered security feature.

Price and availability

The Samsung Galaxy M51 will retail for PhP 19,990 and will come in two colors: Black and White. It will be exclusively available online starting September 25, 2020, at Samsung’s official online store, eCommerce partners such as Lazada, Shopee, Abenson, and MemoXpress, and telecom companies like Globe and Smart. Early birds can score up to PhP 2,098 worth of freebies from September 25-28, 2020.

SEE ALSO: Samsung Galaxy M31: How long does a 6000mAh battery last?

Continue Reading

News

Instagram is being sued for spying on a user’s camera

Accessed a camera without permission

Published

on

The world of social media is rapidly sinking into a period of reckoning. Earlier today, the Trump administration has announced a definitive takedown of TikTok and WeChat starting this Sunday. Apparently, American social media platforms can’t catch a break as well. In the United States, Instagram is being sued for spying on a user’s camera.

Reported by Bloomberg, a New Jersey Instagram user, Brittany Conditi, filed the complaint against the company in a San Francisco court. According to the lawsuit, Instagram accesses an iPhone’s camera even when the app isn’t currently active.

Conditi argues that the practice is deliberate and “lucrative” for the company. Instagram allegedly uses the obtained data for “valuable insights and market research.”

According to Facebook (who owns Instagram), the issue is a bug and does not indicate any deliberate attempts to spy on users. The company has also said that the bug is now patched in the latest version.

Regardless, Facebook and Apple have butted heads in the past. Since the introduction of iOS 14, Apple has upped its efforts to curb any untoward privacy violations from apps. Even without the current allegations, Facebook’s concern (or lack thereof) for privacy is well documented.

Currently, Facebook and Instagram are in a race to catch up with TikTok in the short-form video-sharing trend. Instagram, for one, recently launched Instagram Reels, its own take on TikTok.

SEE ALSO: Facebook is paying users to delete their accounts

Continue Reading

Apps

TikTok and WeChat will be banned from app stores in the US

So, did the Oracle deal go through?

Published

on

After months of escalating, the US Commerce Department has announced it’ll ban business transactions with TikTok and WeChat. The two apps are owned by Chinese giants ByteDance and Tencent, respectively.

Practically, you won’t be able to directly download the app via stores like Play Store and App Store. Furthermore, companies are also barred from hosting these apps in the US. Essentially, the user won’t be able to download the app from third-party websites that are hosted in the US.

It also blocks US companies from providing services through WeChat “for the purpose of transferring funds or processing payments within the U.S.”

However, it remains unclear whether the announcement means the Oracle-TikTok deal won’t be going through. The Trump administration wanted ByteDance to sell its local TikTok operations to an American company.

In the last few months, multiple American giants like Walmart, Twitter, and Microsoft were interested in getting their piece of TikTok. But things haven’t moved smoothly and the Chinese government isn’t keen on handing over TikTok’s algorithm to an American company.

While Oracle has been chosen for a deal with ByteDance, the latter continues to maintain that the ongoing process isn’t an acquisition and Oracle shall be a technology partner. This is in stark contrast to what President Trump envisions as a business takeover.

The app ban could be a tactic to pressure the Chinese, but we can’t be certain of that right now. Going by the latest statements, it’s clear that the administration wants to completely block user’s access to these apps and is willing to go the extra mile.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Gadget Reviews

Trending