News

Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra is resigning, going back to Silicon Valley [Updated!]

Published

on

Hugo Barra

Xiaomi’s highly popular vice president, Hugo Barra, will soon be leaving the company to return to his roots in Silicon Valley. The fate of the Chinese manufacturer and Mr. Barra himself are shrouded in mystery.

Update: He’s joining the Facebook team in Silicon Valley!

No one but Barra and his close friends saw this coming. His last day will be right after next month’s Chinese New Year, after which he’ll “take some much-needed time off before embarking on a new adventure back in Silicon Valley.”

Barra was pivotal in turning Xiaomi into the international tech giant it is today. What began as a simple startup composed of just a few members nearly seven years ago, is now a multi-billion dollar company with revenues coming mostly out of China and India.

Hugo Barra shows off the Xiaomi Mi 5 at MWC 2016

As the Global VP of Xiaomi for more than three years, Barra took control of their international push using his product management experience during his days as vice president of Google’s Android platform. The work he put into the Chinese company definitely paid off; what was once considered to be just an Apple copycat, now produces smartphones as groundbreaking as the Mi Mix and as well-rounded as the Redmi 4 Prime.

Despite his resignation, he believes Xiaomi is in good hands under the leadership of current CEO Lei Jun. It’s uncertain how this will affect the image of the brand, since Barra’s western background helped the company reach non-Chinese regions. It was only earlier this month when he took the stage at CES to show off Xiaomi’s best new products.

As for Barra, describing his next step as a “new adventure back in Silicon Valley” is terribly vague. Chances are we’ll be seeing him join forces with one of the already established tech leaders in San Francisco, California, or another startup altogether.

With rivals OPPO, Vivo, and Huawei leading smartphone sales in China, Xiaomi will have to regroup soon or else lose even more footing in the world’s largest handset market.

Update: As expected, Hugo Barra really is joining forces with an established tech company. In a post shared by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg himself, it says Barra will lead all of Facebook’s virtual reality efforts, including its Oculus team. Read the entire post below:

[irp posts=”8704″ name=”You can ride on this Xiaomi”]

Image credit: Hugo Barra

News

Sony confirms Android Pie rollout schedule

Updates coming in October to March

Published

on

Months after launch, the coveted Android Pie is still the rarest operating system out in the wild. With Android’s notoriety, the new operating system’s incredibly low distribution rates don’t come as a surprise. Currently, only the top smartphones have tasted a piece of Pie. Even then, new adopters are only slowly trickling in.

Surprisingly, Sony has accelerated their upgrade schedules, leaving other brands trailing in the dust. Already, the Xperia XZ2 and XZ2 Compact are receiving Android Pie updates. Meanwhile, the new XZ3 comes with the operating system fresh out of the box.

Today, the company has announced further updates to the old schedule. Within the next few weeks, Sony’s older models will receive the new update. Starting October 26, Android Pie will roll out to the XZ Premium, the XZ1, and the XZ1 Compact. Meanwhile, the XZ2 Premium can enjoy the new operating system starting November 7.

Additionally, the XA2, the XA2 Ultra, and the XA2 Plus will get Android Pie on March 4.

Notably, the announced phones are older than Android Pie’s current lineup. This is the most concrete schedule that Android has enjoyed. While other brands have promised future updates, not many have fulfilled their end of the bargain.

That said, expect the same dismal adoption rates in the future. Even now, the preceding Android Oreo still hasn’t taken over a sizable share of the smartphone market. While Sony’s announcement is a step up, can we expect other brands to step up as well?

SEE ALSO: Sony unveils Xperia XZ3 with best-possible specs and features

Continue Reading

News

Xiaomi confirms manual sliding camera mechanism of Mi Mix 3

This phone is going to be one-of-a-kind

Published

on

Image credit: Xiaomi

Xiaomi is on a roll just a few days before they officially announce their newest smartphone — the Mi Mix 3. After confirming a couple of advanced specifications, the Chinese company posted a teaser video about the phone’s much-speculated camera mechanism.

Apart from having 10GB of memory and uber-fast 5G connectivity, the Mi Mix 3 has another special feature: manual sliding mechanism. We’re slowly going back to the good old days of slider phones, but the Mi Mix 3’s implementation is for the cameras.

Fortunately, Xiaomi still refrained from putting a notch on the new Mi Mix phone and resorted to another design option. The OPPO Find X and Vivo NEX are notch-free, borderless phones using pop-up cameras, but both differ in application. As for Xiaomi, they wanted something a bit different. Here’s the teaser:

At last, Xiaomi confirmed the design of the Mi Mix 3’s cameras and, frankly, this is something we are looking forward to. The video shows the manual sliding cameras of the Mi Mix 3; it’s quite similar to the Find X’s but without the use of a motor.

Here are more photos of the Mi Mix 3 taken from the teaser:

Apart from the mechanism, the teaser also unveiled a few things about the Mi Mix 3. First, it supports facial recognition to enable face unlock and authentication. The rear camera (most likely cameras) appears to be a part of the pop-up as well. The front cameras will have dual sensors with a resolution of 24 megapixels.  And lastly, the phone supports contactless payments.

Xiaomi will have a number of features to talk about during the Mi Mix 3 launch that’s happening on October 25 in Beijing.

SEE ALSO: Xiaomi confirms 10GB RAM and 5G connectivity of the Mi Mix 3

Continue Reading

News

ASUS ROG Phone tops AnTuTu benchmark for Android in September 2018

As it finally hits stores

Published

on

Even though ASUS announced the ROG Phone during Computex a few months ago, it’s only now we’re seeing the gaming smartphone hit store shelves. Since these are retail units we’re talking about, benchmark scores are also making their way to performance charts.

AnTuTu has released its latest standings, encompassing all Android phones benchmarked during the month of September 2018. As expected, the ROG Phone is at the very top.

With a score of 299,706, ASUS’ one and only gamer-centric phone surpasses the likes of Xiaomi’s Black Shark and the latest (for now) OnePlus handset.

It’s certainly a strong showing for ASUS, and proves that the ROG Phone was worth the wait. It’s currently shipping in the US with a starting price of US$ 899, but a host of accessories can easily drive that price up.

But before we give the crown to ASUS, it’s important to note that these numbers are only for Android devices. When taking Apple’s iOS products into consideration, the ranking changes quite a bit.

AnTuTu’s other September 2018 chart, which includes only Apple devices, shows that the iPhone XS and XS Max haves scores of 348,581 and 348,148 points, respectively. They blow away whatever the Android camp currently has to show, and prove that Apple is still the leader in raw performance.

However, all this could change come November once all the new smartphones are tested. We have the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Razer Phone 2, OnePlus 6T, and Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 to consider soon.

Continue Reading

Trending