News

Hackers have already jailbroken the latest iOS version

Covers iOS 11 to the new iOS 13.5

Published

on

In the past few years, jailbreaking seemingly disappeared, leaving behind a trail of unhacked iPhones. That wasn’t a coincidental accident. As of late, Apple upped its anti-jailbreaking measures, ensuring a sanctum against third-party developers and pirates. However, the company’s glorious anti-jailbreaking days are over.

Blasted out of nowhere, a jailbreaking team, known as Unc0ver, has released a jailbreaking tool that covers iPhones from iOS 11 to the recently released iOS 13.5. The new tool is a huge step, marking the first time a jailbreaking tool targets the latest iOS version off the bat. Like other jailbreaking tools, the Unc0ver team’s hack is available through platforms like AltStore and Cydia.

A sigh of relief for security enthusiasts, the tool will reportedly keep Apple’s security protocols intact. In a statement to Wired, the team’s lead developer Pwn20wnd says that the tool “basically just adds exceptions to the existing rules.” Rather than deleting Apple’s security entirely, the tool just squeezes in, leaving the other rules operational. Further, the team says that the tool will not cause extra battery drain.

However, the tool’s sudden arrival is a conundrum for both security enthusiasts and Apple itself. For one, the tool is not open source. Security researchers cannot analyze the tool if it creates additional security flaws. When it comes to security, the tool’s credibility hinges on the team’s statements.

Secondly, Apple has had no lead time with which to respond to the tool. It will take a while before the company can patch the vulnerability out. Especially for adamant users, anyone can use the hack without risking Apple’s quick actions.

That said, jailbreaking your iPhone is still a risk, whether because of Apple’s anti-jailbreaking policies or undiscovered security flaws.

SEE ALSO: Apple and Google release contact tracing software all over the world

News

Xiaomi’s 100W fast charging will reported debut next month

According to Weibo report

Published

on

Yesterday, OPPO and vivo (specifically, iQOO) announced a new battle in the charging wars. Each brand resurrected their prototypes for fast charging technologies. On the one hand, OPPO teased an official event for 125W fast charging on Wednesday. On the other, vivo’s iQOO promised an August launch date for a 100W fast charging gaming smartphone.

Of course, when these two brands make their respective moves on a new technology, Xiaomi isn’t lagging far behind. Today, Xiaomi’s name was thrown into the ring, albeit without an official announcement.

According to a reputable source on Weibo, Xiaomi has already submitted its 100W fast charging technology to Foxconn’s mass production last June. With devices already in the works, Xiaomi’s fast charging smartphones should reportedly launch in August as well.

Xiaomi’s tech had already debuted before. Last year, the brand threw some shade at OPPO’s fast charging at the time. Whereas OPPO’s device charged at just 50W, Xiaomi’s 100W device charged an empty 4000mAh device in just 17 minutes. Unfortunately, the technology never made it past the trash talking in that year.

With the charging war (possibly literally) heating up, it won’t be long before Xiaomi, OPPO, and vivo all make good on their promises for superior charging technology. We can only hope that they come with appropriate cooling technology to handle all that heat.

SEE ALSO: Snapdragon 875 will support 100W fast charging, report says

Continue Reading

Enterprise

Globe hosts its first-ever CONNECT, an online business-matching event

Happening this July 15

Published

on

Photo by Christin Hume

The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting every sector of society as it continues to spread worldwide. In the Philippines, micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) are particularly affected by the pandemic, with more appealing to the government for help. As a way of helping these MSMEs, Globe Telecom is conducting an online business-matching event, CONNECT.

CONNECT is Globe’s initiative to help MSMEs recover and prepare for the world after the pandemic. The event aims to digitize, pivot, and future-proof business in these trying times.  It will connect businesses with renowned investors, suppliers, and potential customers. Participating businesses can gain a lot on the insights that will be shared during the event.

The first CONNECT event will happen this Wednesday, July 15. Interested participants shall watch out for the event on Globe’s myBusiness Facebook page at exactly 3:30pm. Globe has prepared an interesting line-up of activities for its first CONNECT event:

Time Activity
3:30 – 3:45pm Opening Suite:

  • Welcome Remarks (DTI)
3:45 – 4:00pm Keynote Speaker 1:

  • Post-COVID-19 Business Strategies: What Consumer Trends To Expect in Order to Adapt (Patrick Cua, Nielsen Philippines)

4:00 – 4:05pm Q&A
4:05 – 4:20pm

Keynote Speaker 2:

  • Digitization Strategies: What Does “Pivoting to Digital” Really Mean and How Can I Do It? (Geia Lopez, Google Philippines)
4:20 – 4:25pm Q&A
4:25 – 5:30pm Business Matching, Culmination, Raffle

Breakout sessions

For the business matching segment, there will be three breakout sessions where businesses can participate according to their preferences. These sessions will discuss the tools and must-haves that will be useful in helping businesses adapt and transform their supply chain, logistics, and management to a new normal.

Time Sessions
4:35 – 4:50pm Innovations in Retail and e-Commerce with Lazada Philippines Cashless Transactions with GCash Innovations in Digital Marketing with AdSpark
4:50 – 5:05pm Cashless Transactions with GCash Innovations in Logistics with Mober Cashless Transactions with GCash
5:05 – 5:25pm Q&A
5:25 – 5:30pm

Closing

  • Raffle

  • Pitch Event Invitation

  • Press Kit Distribution

Globe will hold these breakout sessions via private Zoom meetings.

Interested participants may register at this link. For more updates on future CONNECT events, follow Globe’s myBusiness Facebook page.

Continue Reading

India

Google to invest US$10 billion in India over 5-7 years

Tech companies are bullish about India

Published

on

Benjamin Dada on Unsplash

alAt its annual Google for India event, Google announced it will be investing INR 75,000 crore (US$ 10 billion) within the next five to seven years. Google CEO Sundar Pichai said the investment will be via multiple channels. This includes direct investments, partnerships, and infrastructure.

“Investments will focus on four areas important to India’s digitization,” he said emphasizing on infrastructure.

He added that the recent pandemic has shown the need for technology and the adoption of new digital tools. Google will focus on improving internet access and offer more information in regional languages like Hindi, Tamil, Punjabi, and more.

Secondly, it will focus on building new products and services that will empower India’s businesses. Leveraging AI in the fields of health, education, and agriculture is a priority.

Google added that its Internet Saathi has already helped more than 30 million women across India. It’s an initiative that strives to spread internet awareness.

The tech giant has also increased its focus on India in the last few years since the market is hugely untapped. One of its most successful launches has been Google Pay. It leverages the country’s UPI (Unified Payments Interface) to transfer money instantaneously to friends, businesses, and even online services.

Pichai lauded Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of Digital India stating that India has made huge progress.

Continue Reading

Trending