Enterprise

OPPO intends to get ahead in the 5G race with VoNR

Adopting the latest voice and video calling protocols

Published

on

We are currently in the 4G era and in the last few years, telecom carriers across the globe have widely started deploying support for VoLTE (Voice over LTE). This means that instead of relying on traditional sources, the call is routed via internet protocol. For the end-user, this results in radically better voice quality, lower latency, and lesser chances of call drops.

The 5G era is just around the corner and OPPO has partnered with Ericsson and MediaTek to support VoNR calls. VoNR means Voice over New Radio, the next generation of voice and video calling that’ll further reduce latency and improve quality. VoNR shall also ensure call encryption and fewer intermediaries during the call.

The announcement is important because brands and component makers are working on the technology even before the mass rollout of 5G. In the case of VoLTE, deployment was delayed even though 4G networks have been up and running for years.

OPPO says all its 5G phones shall support the communication standard. Further, it argues that the brand is first in achieving both, voice and video call, as well as partnering with other companies. For now, its capability will be limited to MediaTek’s Dimensity chipsets and Ericsson’s telecom equipment.

However, the caveat is that even telecom providers will have to deploy VoNR for the phones to actually utilize the support. So far, 5G has been rolled out in only selected regions.

With the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, governments, as well as consumers, won’t be very keen on spending any more money on next-generation technology because healthcare and universal employments are bigger concerns. Many experts estimate the global rollout of 5G could be delayed by an indefinite period until the virus is brought under control.

SEE ALSO: The new online generation: Explaining 5G internet

Apps

Enterprise giant Salesforce acquires Slack for $27.7 billion

Salesforce’s biggest purchase in the 21st century

Published

on

Business software pioneer Salesforce is buying work-chatting service Slack for US$ 27.7 billion. The acquisition of Slack is being hailed as Salesforce’s biggest purchase in the 21st century.

Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff has said that together the two companies will shape the future of enterprise software. Salesforce has a robust unified platform for businesses to connect with their employees, customers, and partners, making it a perfect match for Slack.

The deal comes as the communication platform struggles to fully capitalize on the Coronavirus pandemic. With remote working becoming the new norm, the demand for enterprise communication apps has skyrocketed.

It faces a lot of competition from Microsoft Teams, which is deeply connected with Office and Outlook. Even Facebook and Google joined the race. However, their solutions lacked deep integration with other enterprise modules.

Slack was founded as a gaming company in 2009 in Canada but it soon emerged as the widely used workplace messaging app. It focused on real-time communication, giving teams the option to rely on an instant messaging app over email.

Details of the sale

According to the acquisition terms, Slack shareholders will receive US$ 26.79 in cash and 0.0776 shares of Salesforce common stock for each Slack share or US$ 45.5 per share based on Salesforce’s closing price on Tuesday.

Salesforce was the first company in the world to widely adopt the SaaS (Software as a Service) model, and it has worked wonders. The company was also among the first to leverage the cloud computing trend. It designed its entire systems around a decentralized hub that can be accessed remotely from any device, anywhere.

If the deal goes through as planned, Salesforce hopes to control Slack sometime from May to July 2021.

Continue Reading

Enterprise

Xiaomi overtakes Apple as third-best smartphone seller

Improves over last year’s performance

Published

on

Since Huawei’s struggles throughout the past year, the rise of other Chinese companies became inevitable. Now, we finally have proof. Fresh from a successful run, Xiaomi has overtaken Apple as the third-best smartphone seller during the third quarter of 2020.

As estimated by Gartner, Xiaomi bagged 44.4 million smartphone sales in the previous quarter. For reference, the Chinese company sold only 32.9 million smartphones in the third quarter of 2019, marking a huge increase from last year’s performance.

As a result, Xiaomi moved from fourth place to third place in Garter’s rankings. The company edged out Apple, who sold only 40.6 million smartphones in the same period. While Apple holds on to 11.1 percent market share, Xiaomi will now enjoy 12.1 percent of the total market.

Besides Xiaomi, Huawei was another big mover — at least in terms of units sold. Compared to an impressive 65.8 million smartphones sold in the third quarter of 2019, the struggling company fell to only 51.8 million units sold. Albeit still impressive, Huawei is now farther away from the top spot occupied by Samsung’s 80.8 million smartphones sold.

Speaking of which, the South Korean company moved almost 2 million more units from the previous year. Now, Samsung holds on to 22.0 percent of the market share.

In other news, OPPO, another Chinese rival to Huawei, slightly performed less this year: selling 29.9 million smartphones (compared to 30.6 million units last year) for the fifth spot below Apple.

SEE ALSO: Xiaomi launches 5000mAh ZMI Power Bank, it’ll also warm your hands

Continue Reading

Enterprise

iPad and MacBook production to shift from China to Vietnam

Apple’s preparing for the worst

Published

on

Foxconn’s moving some iPad and MacBook production lines to Vietnam at Apple’s request. Apple intends to take a step back to protect its manufacturing might due to the ongoing trade hostilities between the US and China

According to a Reuters report, the new assembly lines in Vietnam will be operational in the first half of next year at Foxconn’s Bac Giang province. It’s not clear how much production is being moved, but the fact that a shift is already on the table means even the mightiest American company isn’t immune to the trade war.

“Apple requested the move,” a person with knowledge of the plan told Reuters. “It wants to diversify production following the trade war.”

Foxconn has announced a US$ 270 million investment to create a new subsidiary in Vietnam called FuKang Technology. Furthermore, the manufacturing vendor aims to make televisions in the plant for clients like Sony.

This will be the first time Apple has moved its iPad assembly line out of China. However, it’s also not surprising because the Cupertino giant started chalking redundancy plans months ago. Apple has announced a multi-billion dollar investment in India to expand its existing iPhone assembly line.

Trade War just isn’t pretty for anybody

While the trade war and ongoing hostilities between the US and China are yet to affect Apple directly, it intends to take no chance. It’s also considered a pragmatic reaction because many giants like Huawei, ZTE, and ByteDance have been caught in the middle, decimating their future ambitions and scope of expansion.

While American companies are yet to face the wrath directly, the deteriorating situation has prepared them to create back-up plans. Similarly, many other technology giants like Nintendo are also shifting their facilities to Vietnam in search of political stability and a business-friendly environment.

Read Also – Trade War: China’s loss is everyone’s gain

Continue Reading

Trending